Iron Strapback Nottingham Reel

The Nottingham Reels forum.
Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Iron Strapback Nottingham Reel

Post by Rod Fisher »

About a month ago I bought a bundle of 5 reels in an online auction for just over £20, one of which had caught my eye:

ImageImage

It has an iron strapback (rusty), pinned iron reel foot (wobbly), bone handles, and decades - maybe centuries - of old line on the barrel. I gave it a cursory clean and put it on the shelf.

This week I bought Stefan Duma's book Men of Trent - and spotted my reel's twin on page 150. It has the same handles, the same knurled brass nut, identical circular detail on the face etc.
ImageImage
The reel in Duma's book has an iron pillared drum core and an hourglass barrel within those pillars. Does my reel have the same? I don't know! I still haven't cut the line off. Place your bets now.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Iron Strapback Nottingham Reel

Post by StefanDuma »

It will be very interesting to see it with the line off!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Come on Rod, get that line off we're all waiting to see. :holmes:

My money is on it being the same by the way.

Wal.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Further perusal of the book suggests a possible closer resemblance to the reel on page 158, which presumably does not have the pillared core.
ImageImage
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Lovely reel, but the suspense is killing me…

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Progress. All the mono is off and I'm working my way through the Nottingham silk line.
I will say the barrel is still looking very round.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Well your purchase has certainly proved its worth

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

The one that catches my eye is centre of the bottom row. Is it a 'pin or is it a fly reel in similar design to the 'perfect style'? :holmes:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

The one that catches my eye is centre of the bottom row. Is it a 'pin or is it a fly reel in similar design to the 'perfect style'? Is that a handle on both sides? Could I ask for it's dimensions please? Interesting :holmes:

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Barbelseeker wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:07 am Well your purchase has certainly proved its worth
Interesting Nottingham reels are hard to find because of the sheer volume of unremarkable examples to wade through.

Return to “Nottingham Reels”