Is this an Allcocks?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
JohnL

Is this an Allcocks?

Post by JohnL »

I've had this 3" ariel since about 1969, although it's much older as it was passed to my father by Harold Bennett. It looks like an Allcocks but the only stamp on it is patent by one of the handles; one for the TFF detectives I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: Is this an Allcocks?

Post by Deaf Cat »

Well it does look remarkably similar to Snape's reel here:
http://traditionalfisherman.co.uk/viewt ... 668#p18053

Has yours been loved to smoothness?
You appear to have the remnants of a number on the brass foot.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

i would say yes
allcocks didnt always stamp reels.
nice little reel from a little after 1900s
have a close look inside for any numbers anywhere, there should or could be a 5 or 6 digit number on the inside of the backplate
also two identical numbers on the back of both spool plates usually in the same area
infact on the back of the brass foot i think there is a no 55?
nice to see line on it, and thats its still working hard!

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

yes John, most definitely is an Allcock, although if it is only three inches and not 3 1/2 inch makes it rarer! most where 3 1/2 and 4 inch models.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Leveller wrote:i would say yes
allcocks didnt always stamp reels.
nice little reel from a little after 1900s
have a close look inside for any numbers anywhere, there should or could be a 5 or 6 digit number on the inside of the backplate
also two identical numbers on the back of both spool plates usually in the same area
infact on the back of the brass foot i think there is a no 55?
nice to see line on it, and thats its still working hard!
It does indeed have 55 stamped on the foot (never noticed that) and yes it's still working hard and running sweet, in fact it had my best ever catch, three grayling 2-15, 3-6 and 4-00. As you can imagine I would never part with it.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Many thanks for the information gentlemen. It is genuinely a 3" and I did also find an 8 stamped on the back of each spool plate, it's amazing what you see when you look. Nice to know it's the real deal, I shall just have to continue using it with great care.

Wallis Master

Post by Wallis Master »

Yes Im quite sure it is....Fancy selling it? :Happy:

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

probably a 7950-T2 ,these are one of the prettiest of allcocks reels ,because the dimentions are perfectly balanced ,the narrowness of the flange and the length of the spokes /stretchers still giving finger sized gaps ,this gives a nice drum dia and fairly shallow linelay whilst maintaining a good cranking dia for a relatively high retrieve for the size of reel ,a very desiable reel and one high on my wish list ,of centrepins i'd like to own oneday .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Wallis Master wrote:Yes Im quite sure it is....Fancy selling it? :Happy:
I'm sure it would suit you very well, the spools so light it Wallis Casts a dream. Unfortunately it's going to the grave with me; well that's what I told the missus but I've a sneaky feeling she knows what it's worth.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

JohnL wrote: I'm sure it would suit you very well, the spools so light it Wallis Casts a dream. Unfortunately it's going to the grave with me; well that's what I told the missus but I've a sneaky feeling she knows what it's worth.
Hi John, :Hat:

......be careful (She may see this) and make sure that your life insurance is always in arrears! :Chuckle:

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”