Free Stretch

This forum belongs to the River Kennet.
Chevin
Brown Trout

Free Stretch

Post by Chevin »

Has anyone fished the free stretch of river that runs through Newbury Town Centre.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Bluedun

Re: Free Stretch

Post by Bluedun »

Yep, once. Used to be good for decent roach at one time. Plenty of the usual old chub though.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Hi yes I live in Newbury still some Roach and good Chub but the Perch have been making a show again in the last couple of years.
If you walk upstream from the Warf on the park side you will be heading towards the town centre about 150 yards up the tow path you will see 2 pubs directly opposite you fish tight to the far wall even had Barbel here to around 5lb.
Most people fish the Wharf area but there are swans everywhere and people feeding them bread, if you can avoid the swans there are some very big chub in here that like big lumps of Bread flake.
If you need anymore info pm me.
Bumble

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Many thanks Bumble, may just do that, may be heading there for a dabble during the festive period.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Let me know when I might come down

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

Not recently, the last time would have been about two years ago just after the very cold spell we had in january.Was fishing a very informal match(no keepnets just a bit of fun with two friends to see who could bag the biggest fish).

I was pegged outside Costa's!..was handy for nipping in for a warming cappuccino from time to time.Its a good bit of the Kennet and stuffed with fish but not a place i could fish on a regular basis due to the constant stream of people walking by and as Bumble mentioned its also swan central.

When i first moved to the area i was a frequent visitor to the stretch and it did in fact produce my very first Kennet two pound roach.My favourite swim used to be just upstream of the american bridge on the museum bank.I have no doubt that good fish still reside in this stretch but i prefer peace, quiet and solitude in my fisheries these days none of which you will get in Newbury town centre.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Thankyou very much for the info chaps, me and SK are thinking of having a dabble on the 31st for a chub or two. You will be most welcome to come along.

H.T. Sheringham

Return to “River Kennet”