cageless construction?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Boston

cageless construction?

Post by Boston »

can someone please tell me what is meant by a 'cageless construction' centrepin please,im thinking of treating myself to another one but im a little perplexed,also are there any advantages or disadvantages over a non 'cageless construction'?....many thanks

SeanM
Tench

Re: cageless construction?

Post by SeanM »

A cageless center pin is like a Match Aerial or a Trudex, ie the drum is open, normally with the option of a line guard. A non-cageless (or caged) centre pin is has the drum set in a "cage" like a Trudex.

Both types have their advantages and their devotees. I prefer a caged reel for trotting and a cageless for ledgering. You can't Wallis cast with a caged reel.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

SeanM wrote:A cageless center pin is like a Match Aerial or a Trudex, ie the drum is open, normally with the option of a line guard. A non-cageless (or caged) centre pin is has the drum set in a "cage" like a Trudex.
A non-cageless (or caged) centre pin is has the drum set in a "cage" like The RAPIDEX

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Boston, advantages of a caged reel? the cage prevents the line from being blown off the drum, round the reel foot etc by awkward cross winds. Perfect if your fishing from a boat/punt. It's worth having a good Perfection Flick-em (4" or 3.5") in your collection if only for the purpose of sitting there admiring it and giving it a good spin. Gorgeous reels!
Sean M, I was taught to "cast off the reel" using a Rapidex so if I can do it.... however timing is critical if your not going to suffer overruns and due to the cage construction crimped line when it comes to sorting them. Now where is that bulk spool?

Tony

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Granted that you may attain a greater distance with an Aerial than a Rapidex, but you most certainly can cast off the reel with a caged reel, I do other and other anglers I know do. Whether you call it a Wallis cast or not is another matter.

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Try pulling it harder it will go further... better still if you ever bump into Dave Steuart ask him to show you how. The Wilson reel runs on bearings doesn't it? I have a copy of a Rapidex with bearings that a mate made me, nice reel but doesn't cast as well as a true pin.

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes I've been making for the last 36 years when using caged reels.
I shall have to start all over again. Luckily I have some Aerials to fall back on.

Boston

Post by Boston »

Thankyou for your help guys.....I'm relatively new to useing centrepins compared to you guys,about 18mths or so,though not a true pin im useing the okuma Sheffield(cageless?)for general trotting for chub and roach and have no problems casting(except when I'm tired with standing up for 8hrs) so i think I've past my centrepin apprenticeship(possibly)...I really like the looks of the jw heritage...A good choice?

Boston

Post by Boston »

To be honest I take the line guard off,I have the line comeing out frm the top of the reel as I do when fluff chuckin,don't like the angle the line takes through the butt eye when comeing out from the bottom so line guards arnt really an issue for me...

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

the heritage is in my opinion the second best reel youngs has built ,and the best bearings reel they've made ,its a good reel and the cage line guard isn't too badly positioned and is only a slight hindrance when wallis casting .

here's me casting with one and the line guard fitted ,and yes i forgot to take the ratchet off on this one ,not the best film work , but the technique is good

another wally cast ,without the ratchet on ,sorry about the wind noise ,i was playing with the video function on a fuji camera and the nike picked up all the background sound but very little of me (thankfully)

i liked the reel ,despite not usually liking lineguards ,i did however sell mine ,as i've more of a thing for true pins and had other suitable bearings reels to play with .i wouldn't hesitate to own another if i had room in my line up of reels .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”