Matching the old varnish on B James rods.

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Matching the old varnish on B James rods.

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

I'm just in the process of replacing a ring on my B James Avon. I generally use yacht varnish diluted but it tends to come out a little too glossy, any tricks or hints to blend it in to the older original B James varnish?

Haydn Clarke

Re: Matching the old varnish on B James rods.

Post by Haydn Clarke »

You could try waxing down the new varnish with 0000 wire wool and wax. This should take the shine down a fair bit. If it's still too glossy try dry 0000 wire wool instead then wax and buff.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

An alternative is to use a fine abrasive like rottenstone http://www.axminster.co.uk/liberon-libe ... prod23152/

Pete

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I've used toothpaste in the past and it works quite well. I think this was suggested by someone on Pure Piscator at some point. Ronseal silk finish exterior varnish works well as it is slightly darker than yacht varnish.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

When I made musical instruments I always rubbed oil varnish down with Tripoli powder mixed into a paste with 3 in 1 oil, applied with a cloth. This changes the high gloss to a lovely subtle sheen. Works best if you let the final coat of varnish go really hard first.
I think Tripoli powder (which is a very fine abrasive) is similar to Rottenstone, already recommended here.
I like the idea of toothpaste!

Alan

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”