Match Aerial Problem?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
SeanM
Tench

Match Aerial Problem?

Post by SeanM »

I've got a 1960s Match Aerial that I was using for grayling trotting today. It wasn't running particularly well and I noticed that the spool braking fork wasn't attached to the spring loaded adjusting screw and was moving in and out.

I've not noticed this before so the question is should the fork be attached to the end of the screw and, if so, how?
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Maggot's Dad

Re: Match Aerial Problem?

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi SeanM, :Hat:
....no, it should be free floating. It only comes under load from contact with the spring.
Was there any noise when the reel was in use?
What lubrication are you using? Perhaps you need to use something thinner in these lower temperatures.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Hi MD. There's no noise - I cleaned and lubed the reel before I went out. I'm using singer sewing machine oil. The fork isn't sticking and moves quite easily, but the reel seemed a little "sticky" and didn't get up to speed as fast as I'd have liked (1 swan loafer). I have been using a Rapidex for the past few months so maybe the Match Aerial is just a little less free and/or has a heavier spool than the Rapidex.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi SeanM,
since using it, have you cleaned it again? Depending upon what you use to clean it with, maybe you had a piece of lint trapped on the pin.
Check that the grooves for the latch fork and drum brake latch are clean and not running dry.
Other than that I can only suggest that you check the end float screw has it's correct clearance and is not binding on the tip of the pin.
As a last resort flush it all with parrafin, carefully dry, dry again and re-lube.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Are the forks still attached if you back the adjusting wheel right off and pull the spring away from the hub with a fingernail?
If so, I would hazard a guess that the very end of the springs are trapped in the hole of the fork where it slides on the threaded spoke.
Last edited by Maggot's Dad on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

if it was a freespirit then it would of been expected (see here) ,this was a common thing with early ones .

some possible causes
the spring may of lost its tenion if left in compression too long (drag inadvertadly left on ,for perlonged period)
it may of snapped and a little bit off the end fell off ,have a close look at the end of the spring
is the spindle strait ?
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Thanks for the input chaps!

I had a good look at the reel this afternoon when I got in. There is no obvious sign of the drag fork ever being attached to the end of the spring. I cleaned the spindle and forks and re-lubed. Gave the reel a gentle flick and got over 2 minutes spin time. Pushed the drag fork in against the pin with my finger nail then gave it another flick - over 2 minutes. So the conclusion is that the float in the drag fork wasn't the cause of the problem so it was either down to a bit of maize meal (no obvious noise so not grit) or the oil had thickened a bit due to the cold. I guess it will remain a mystery!

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

at least it ok again thats the main thing. your probably right about the oil & temp in relation to spool weight ,the oil may of become les viscus due too the coldness ,after all sowing machine oil isn't designed for outdoor use or for working in low temps .its designed for indoor use at room tempratures .this combined with the relatively heavy spool of the match aerial .could of increased the inertia.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”