Rimfly ???

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Tomglum
Bleak

Rimfly ???

Post by Tomglum »

Hi All,
I inherited an Intrepid regular rimfly a long time ago...Then after reading a fool and his eel(a realy superb book bye the way),I noticed the photos of this reel,so I sorted it out,now i want to use it...But as I am no flyfisher,I searched the web for info...all I can find out is what a good reel these were.....THATS IT. Unless somebody can point me in the right direction,or even have somthing to say .Thanks .
Tim

St.John
Tench

Re: Rimfly ???

Post by St.John »

I have one. Very good honest reel. Not worth a lot but that doesn't matter.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I also have one with a spare spool too, one day i will get round to having a go at using it
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Must be a good reel - it survived in one form (Intrepid) or another (Leeda) for a long time! I used the Leeda version as my first fly reel and never had a problem with it.
Jim

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

The VFC wrote:Must be a good reel - it survived in one form (Intrepid) or another (Leeda) for a long time! I used the Leeda version as my first fly reel and never had a problem with it.
Jim
Ditto.

Tomglum
Bleak

Post by Tomglum »

Thanks for replys,I've aquired a nice little Milwards troutrover,but what line I will need is a mystery to me
Tim

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Errrrrrr try a 3 or maybe a 4? Probably the safest bet at a guess...

Tomglum
Bleak

Post by Tomglum »

Thanks St John
Tim

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I sold literally hundreds of Rimfly reels whilst at the shop from the Intrepid days through to the Leeda days. The Rimfly was the starting out 'low budget' but virtually indestructible fly reel we never had issues with them at all. They just went on and on and a typical Saturday would see me loading backing, fly lines and loops and leaders onto various customers Rimfly reels almost all day long. It held the top fly reel selling throne for year after year until Leeda brought the LC Series (cartridge spool) out.

I would imagine a lot of those reels I loaded with line 30 years ago are still in use to-day albeit with different lines now.

A great no-nonsense reel that does all that most trout reels ever need to do - hold the line and wind in. The Regular was the medium size with the Lightweight being a smaller version and the King Size the larger one.

Similar to the Rimfly there was a geared version called the Gearfly and a lightweight version called a Dragonfly.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Always wanted a lightweight bit never seen one at the right moment... Then a hardy marques caught my eye. Over priced but rather lovely.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”