Jack Hargreaves on Grayling

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Jack Hargreaves on Grayling

Post by Moley »

When grayling start to turn black stop fishing for them please, if you care about their well being at all.

The colour change is in preparation for breeding, making them even more susceptible to excessive handling.

Apologies for being pedantic over this but really get very angry with anglers posing with large dark grayling for self-gratification at the expense of such magnificent creatures. Ask yourself this, how long do you think it takes for them to stop wriggling in the net to enable a wonderful, caring picture to be taken that you see in the comics?

The answer is too long. Unless you are taking the fish for eating, don't eat them when black, time on the bank should hopefully be less than 30 seconds for the fish to go back without having to revive it.....

When is the right time to cease fishing for them?

To be on the safe side around about now is the right time. Undoubtedly there will be some who believe they know better.....you don't. Fatty has fished for Grayling for most of his life and is able to utilise common sense with regard to the most beautiful river fish and would beg others to do the same.

Sermon over.

As ever,...

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Mark wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:02 pm I have just set up a forum for grayling and who better to start it off than Jack Hargreaves, a lovely episode this one.

Morning Mark,
It says the video is private? Cant open it?
It might be my end?

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Mr B wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:10 am
Mark wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:02 pm I have just set up a forum for grayling and who better to start it off than Jack Hargreaves, a lovely episode this one.

Morning Mark,
It says the video is private? Cant open it?
It might be my end?

Mr B
This link is 11 years old so have no idea. :Confused:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Dave Knowles tends to put up videos of Hargreaves including this one but for each one he puts up he takes one down from his channel.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Ah, no problem Mark...
All good this end.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:17 pm Nice video. I'd like to be fishing the Wharfe for grayling at this time of year.
I will be Friday week...

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:23 pm
MaggotDrowner wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:17 pm Nice video. I'd like to be fishing the Wharfe for grayling at this time of year.
I will be Friday week...

Thanks
BB

I did today. Caught a few too! :dancing:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”