A fair price to offer?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

A fair price to offer?

Post by Wagtail »

I have the chance of purchasing a B James Mk IV carp rod. It belongs to an in-law of my brother, so in order to keep family relations intact I need to make a fair offer which at the same time is as low as possible(!). I haven't seen the rod yet, but brother tells me that it looks almost as new apart from lacking the rubber button. Assuming it is good original condition, can anyone offer a suggestion as to a realistic ball-park figure to offer for this rod? I'm hoping to get a look at the rod (and possibly make an offer) over the weekend. Thanks in anticipation.
Alex
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: A fair price to offer?

Post by Loop Erimder »

Wagtail wrote:I have the chance of purchasing a B James Mk IV carp rod. It belongs to an in-law of my brother, so in order to keep family relations intact I need to make a fair offer which at the same time is as low as possible(!). I haven't seen the rod yet, but brother tells me that it looks almost as new apart from lacking the rubber button. Assuming it is good original condition, can anyone offer a suggestion as to a realistic ball-park figure to offer for this rod? I'm hoping to get a look at the rod (and possibly make an offer) over the weekend. Thanks in anticipation.
Alex
I missed out on one last week, looked spot on too and it went for £220, they generally go for over £200 and sometimes upto 300, I'd say £200 would be a fair offer for family rates
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

I would say 150, but im on a budget .Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Always tricky without seeing or feeling the rod, but if it's in decent nick I'd tender an extremely cheeky, chancer's offer of £125 and take it from there. 'He who dares, Rodders. He who dares'.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Tell him they usually go for between 150 and 250, and ask him to pick a price!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Best negotiating trick for this set of circumstances: bat the ball back into their court and ask them what they think is a fair price. If they say "Oh, a hundred pounds, or thereabouts?" Try your best to look slightly disappointed and pained as you hand over the ton. If they say a sum far deeper than your pockets then you can walk without embarrassment.
Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

See it first and check the joint, see if its straight, the right length, etc....then decide.

I've have bought Mark IV's from £70 to £280 (bit over the top but it was un-used!). The £70 one was advertised on EBay badly and it was four inched too short apart from that it was perfect. It was probably used more than any other rod last year.

I would say a nice one with a bit of family discount....£150-£190? If its a bit rough....£90-£110?

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

depends which mk4 it is, the shape of the cork handle, fittings etc. there is a post on the types of B James Mk4 carp rods which will determine which version it is, rubber buttons can still be found to make it complete but will knock £20 or so off the value if missing and if it's missing the original bag it will lose another £30'ish. Early trumpet handles are most expensive(version 1 i think) with a few ultra rare ones personally signed by walker being gold dust. onions shaped cork handles without a brass finishing ring were next (version 2) then onions with the ring (version 3)and last donut shaped handles (version 4). I paid £130 for my V3 onion 18 years ago and have had £300 offered for it, not for sale though as it was an anniversary present from my wife, but nice to know it's an appreciating asset, as well as very nice to use.

I think it would be best to see it first and see which version it is before committing to a price, especially with family :Thumb:

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Thank you all for the advice, if fate decides it should be mine then I will report back with pictures.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Very good condition B.James Richard Walker MK1V's and MKIV Avons generally seem to go for around £160 (plus Commission) on the recent Mullocks auctions.
Therefore I would say £150 would be reasonable to offer - a bit more if its in really top notch condition
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”