Allcocks Match Aerial

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Allcocks Match Aerial

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Popped into an old junk shop today as I had noticed, through the window, some cane rods stacked against the corner. The shop was closed but a contact telephone number on the window was phoned and the owner appeared from the cafe opposite. As I perused the rods he explained that he was selling a load of stuff for an old gent who no longer goes fishing. Apart from some whole cane match rods, they were all fly rods (not my thing). Then I noticed a glass fronted case on the floor which contained about 8 fly reels, a couple of sea reels and a ALLCOCKS MATCH AERIAL in almost mint condition. My heart was in my mouth as I enquired about the price. He said he was thinking of putting it on Ebay as he had heared they were selling for a good price. I couldn't make an offer, I said that it was probably worth in excess of 100 pounds. For a few seconds I thought my birthdays had all come at once. Bah!!!

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Re: Allcocks Match Aerial

Post by Kevanf1 »

Match Aerials are funny old things, price wise. They seem to go up and down in the price they realise every couple of years.

Of course, what you should have done was to tell him the difference between the Match Aerial and the Aerial Match. Then offered him £50 for much less desirable Match Aerial ;)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

I'd have made him an offer, and outlined the listing, and final valuation fees incurred on eBay.

Then told him about the general hassles of postage etc, etc.

He may have taken the cash on the spot, - sellers do.
niceroach

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Did any more come of this one? Was it a pleasurable outcome on your part, NiceRoach?
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Just over one week afterwards, the shopkeeper had left the shop. It is still up for rent. I phoned him twice. First time he said he was going to contact the owner to see how much he wanted for it. I heard nothing so have text him several times but received no reply. It probably ended up on the Bay of E.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Oh, bum! I was hoping for a good outcome for you. They really are very nice reels the 'Match Aerial'. I have about 4 (one an original Fred Crouch wide drum, not the new models). Even though they are actually slightly too big for my liking normally. I actually prefer a 4" pin. The Match Aerial (don't confuse it with the Aerial Match which was only produced for around 12 months in 1939) is of course 4.5". Not much difference but I notice it even though I have fairly large hands.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”