4' Aeriel narrow drum too small?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
WildCarpFisher.

4' Aeriel narrow drum too small?

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

How much line (8lb) would a 4' narrow drum take do you chaps think? I've seen a nice one. It would only be for margin carp and barbel?

Thanks.

St.John
Tench

Re: 4' Aeriel narrow drum too small?

Post by St.John »

Enough I would think! I guess that it would happily hold 60-80 yards, any I doubt you'd really need more than that.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

WildCarpFisher.

Oh, wish you had said 100+. Some of the carp can run pretty far. it's a bit fine. But thanks for the help.

What about a Rapidex 4 1/2 what would that hold? Please?

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I wouldn't put that much line on any pin, I only put on 70 - 100 turns of line on, that's usually plenty.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Wildcarpfisher :Hat: , have a look out for a grice and young , they make nice stalking reels , I always put a conveyer belt rubber liner round base as protective arbour so line doesn't crush reel pins . You could easily get one hundred yard on one , got one here if your interested , its the same as the one C . Y ,uses in P . F . A . its in the book , the salmon fishing expedition , though it is not actually a salmon reel . He uses it , or did for stalking carp . Regards .Woolly Bear . :Hat:

WildCarpFisher.

Where Woolly bear? Where?

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

In search of salmon page 79 of P . F . A . turn page81 over the full picture shows C . Y . holding his rod the reel is same as mine wide drum . Have also seen pictures of him stalking with it years ago . Have E mailed You Sir . Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I never put more than 50yds on my pins. Never had a problem and I've long trotted (very long on the Dove) for grayling. But, going on that 50yds that I use I reckon my Trudexs will easily take about 150 to 200 yds. Bearing in mind I do tend to use braid so when I use 6 or 8lb it is only the same diameter as around 2lb mono.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I would say the best GY reel for stalking would be the Gypsy Dior. But you shouldn't need 100yds of line on a pin, it will cause bedding problems.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Be very careful putting over 50yds of monofilament on a centrepin, it stretches and shrinks and will bend the line pins, one thing you can do is put 100yds of braid on first , this won't shrink, then you put 50yds or less of mono on.
I did this stalking carp in France for carp upto 50lbs, I never got anywhere near the braid ,it's there to protect and to stop you getting paranoid,
Give it a go, much better than over loading a pin, which will only bed in and give you trouble after the first fish you catch anyway.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”