Norman Woodward, Leicester

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: Norman Woodward, Leicester

Post by Rutland Rod »

Mark wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm
Burnie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:27 pm That's it, wasn't it run by the Culleys at one time? I used to fish Switherland Res back in the 80's, they often used to fish there after a record Rudd.
I not sure of the names but I will ask the next time I am in there.
Late to this post and not sure if the Culleys had any connection with Bennett’s but Brian Culley had the chippy in Quorn and as Burnie mentions along with his lads were very successful in catching specimen fish of all species from Swithland Res ( as well as other waters) Wadsworths prior to moving to Narborough Road were on Frog Island on the A50 just after where the road crosses firstly the Soar and then the GU Canal. The shop was very well know in Leicester as Tommy Wadsworth ( the Wad ) had a well known dance band and then went on to do various things on Radio Leicester, his son Tony also ran the shop and I remember buying a north western glass blank from him, he looked to have a very successful career following his dad into BBC local radio but has disappeared from the air waves.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Re: Norman Woodward, Leicester

Post by Homer Simpson »

Burnie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 pm
Swythyn Troutbeck wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:47 pm
AshbyCut wrote:My latest rod acquisition has a retailers label attached bearing the details :-

Norman Woodward
Braunstone Gate
Leicester
Tel 22353

From the phone number I'd guess late '60's or 1970's.

Does anyone recall this shop ?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's where my Dad bought me my very first rod and reel....and I still have both.

Just down the street from Lewis's, the shop was really a seed merchants. It was a sort of long and narrow corridor with the fishing tackle at the very end. You'd hardly think it was a tackle shop at all from the outside.

Bless Mr.Woodward for dissuading my Dad from getting me a short fibre-glass fishing rod just like all the other lads. He sold him a 9ft rod made out of ordinary garden cane but with a proper cork handle and fibre-glass top. The reel was a pressed alloy Easton Sun and he equipped it with "Eclipse" silk running line off a card with a quill float and two packets of hooks to nylon size 14 and 16.

Halcyon days....

Troutbeck
I think this shop may have been Pratts at 41 Humberstone Gate, they also had a store on the East Park Road. nb it became John Adams(Ironmongers)in 1971
I am aware this is a four year old post,......but
Your memory is good Burnie
I worked in the John Adams Humberstone gate branch fishing tackle part between doing my o levels and starting an apprenticeship, I think 1972. At that time is was at the back of the shop and downstairs too.
Adams had a number of branches, l assume bought from Pratts as the window was still sign written pratts when I was there.
Mr Adams (I assume the owners son,) was I nice chap, very gentlemanly, he let me have staff discount long after I left.

There was one pratts shop left, I think, on narborough road; the owners son of that shop was my apprentice mentor for a short time.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”