The Fallen Redmire Pool Oak Tree

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Mark
Head Bailiff

The Fallen Redmire Pool Oak Tree

Post by Mark »

Have they removed the fallen oak tree at Redmire yet as I heard that they might be doing that in the close season or are they going to leave it there now.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Re: The Fallen Redmire Pool Oak Tree

Post by Snape »

To my knowledge it hasn't yet been removed but will be when the work party convenes in May.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

That's going to be a big job. Surely some form of heavy lifting gear will need to be used. I fear for the surrounding foliage. I'd did ask Les pretty-please can we keep it? He was adamant it had to go.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

les is waiting for a quote from a crane firm as we speak. The oak will be removed this close season, and if all goes to plan in the very near future to allow the pool's vegetation time to grow back up after the inevitable disturbance, in time for the 16th.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

I wonder if anybody has given any thought to the timber that could be used from this tree. Set of floats or maybe a reel back made from the redmire oak?? :Cool:

Any thoughts what other uses there may be from this?? Answers on a postcard please
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

A hut?

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Now Sir that is a fine idea and a fitting end.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

JimmyBobkin wrote:A hut?
How about a new punt.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Bread Works! wrote:I wonder if anybody has given any thought to the timber that could be used from this tree. Set of floats or maybe a reel back made from the redmire oak?? :Cool:

Any thoughts what other uses there may be from this?? Answers on a postcard please
This has been discussed, and plans are afoot concerning a portion of the timer at least. However I believe that some will need to be sold to help cover the cost of removal-which as gurn says, will be a monster job. I quite like it in there, but realistically it needs to come out, and very soon.
The management of the pool have come under some (small) criticism regarding the oak, and it being left in the pool. This was (in the vast majority) from a single, rather vocal source who was under the impression that it should have been removed instantly, and that is would have been an easy, one day job. This, of course, was an impossibility, the oak must weigh god knows what, and the land conditions last year were terrible. The decision to leave the oak was NOT taken lightly, and I find it very offending that it has been used as ammunition in an unnamed persons vendetta against the pool and its management.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Personally I rather fancy the idea of a new bench (the old, metal one is being retired, probably this week!), and possibly a table. The final decision remains. If course, with the family. But ears are made to be whispered into, and ideas are taken on board!

Return to “Redmire Pool”