Mk1v green whipped

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Mk1v green whipped

Post by Ljm183 »

Has any one any info on the early green whipped MK1v carp I have been told of one possibly for sale and waiting for more details.
I have been told it,s got Clarissa and 1952, Ealing, London written in Indian ink and is a very dark cane.
comments any one, what to look for what to offer ? if it comes on the market !!!!!

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Re: Mk1v green whipped

Post by JerryC »

Not heard of that one - I believe that most of the rods DW built himself were green whipped, I also believe that all these are accounted for. I know for a fact that James Bruce, B James & Son, used to green whip some MK1Vs when they ran out of crimson.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I'd be careful, something sounds fishy about it to me... Clarrisa and 1952... But them again I could be totally wrong..
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Jackson

Post by Jackson »

If it is the same one, i saw a rod like that advertised along with one or two others in need of restoration and they were going cheap. I saw the photo of the '1952' rod, and my impression just was that it was any old blank.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Jackson wrote:If it is the same one, i saw a rod like that advertised along with one or two others in need of restoration and they were going cheap. I saw the photo of the '1952' rod, and my impression just was that it was any old blank.
Can i ask, where did you see the photo of the green whipped rod and what condition was it in ?

The one i bought is in very good un restored condition.

All ring,s are lined

Does anyone has any info on this rod ?

Possible commemorative model ?

Lee.

Jackson

Post by Jackson »

That is not the one i saw - restored or not, somebody may have tried to mimic this rather fine looking rod. I cannot recall where online i saw what i did sorry.

What does this feel like compared to a B James out of interest?

'Possible commemorative model ?'

Commemorative model of what? .. a B James say?

A lot of people know all there ( commonly ) is to know about B James mainly because compared to many things, there just is not a vast amount to know - no matter how special insider info might offer bias there, though it does seem that sometimes a bit of info was gained extra by those who had connections when we just look at learned historical comments on trad forums down the years.

I can only comment from my own experience and that from people i've known a long time, but rods that might have somehow been made by them like crop up don't they. And then speculation hasn't got too much room on the evidence side.

People know ( just for an instance this is ) that B James did engrave aluminium butt fitting like that - for example angling times prize rods do not seem to have that much consistency on how they were denoted and they seem quite 'ad hoc'.

I know this since i have 2 AT prize rods and one of those is a MK 4, though i have never seen reference to one being given anywhere, i have to assume it was given its marking. The other one is a Avocet, and that has an after thought transfer stating it is AT prize, and then a plain text embossed like that in the alloy - but Angling Times Prize Rod.

The Mk 4 has no AT transfer actually ( lovely rod 2nd onion shape has B James Ealing transfer ) but again plain embossed in that same style on the butt fitting, - but the other feature of that rod is the rare fixed reel fitment and that stands out a lot of course.

The very last thing i would be implying following your inquiry is an actual speculation it was made by B James - far from it. But i can say they embossed in that manner and 'typeset' into alloy as the point of interest for going into this.

The dyed in the wool trad crowd are evidence creatures as we can always see, but personally i do not think that means B James ( again for instance ) could ever have fully revealed every moment of deviation, or indeed what idea or reason a variation model could have been driven by - but as you would know, for sense we always see the trad angling fraternity work on evidence.

So ( for whatever it is worth mind you ) i agree with your open case on it, and would still tend to flow with that school of thought here. More rods might indeed be explained one day - regardless too of what well known company it is, further variations perhaps. At the same time, the bespoke builds out of the quality kits situation is very well known.

Special issues which makers never bothered to mention could obscure certain rods, and is something i tend agree with. Then trouble is ( again as we know ) without x makers name, there is no way of knowing if transfer was lost by a careless re -varnish, or made to order without - which is just back into the deep fuzzy lines there

But mainly your rod is so lovely to see that it was worth a ramble like this being all along the old well trodden lines, and no matter what - thanks for showing it.

Regards
Last edited by Jackson on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did learn this year that Jim Bruce Senior used to make 'special's for shows and fairs. Specifically a twin tipped Mk. IV for the Ideal Home Exhibition at Olympia. Which when he bought it back to the shop at the end of the exhibition, he sold to a part-time lad working for him at the Northfields Avenue shop, allowing him to pay weekly until the agreed sum had been paid off.

The 'lad', now retired, still has the rod to this day and it is currently with the best restorer in the country, I believe.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Nobby wrote:I did learn this year that Jim Bruce Senior used to make 'special's for shows and fairs. Specifically a twin tipped Mk. IV for the Ideal Home Exhibition at Olympia. Which when he bought it back to the shop at the end of the exhibition, he sold to a part-time lad working for him at the Northfields Avenue shop, allowing him to pay weekly until the agreed sum had been paid off.

The 'lad', now retired, still has the rod to this day and it is currently with the best restorer in the country, I believe.
In line with that, I once had a Mk1V that had black reel fittings and butt cap. I believe that this was a feature of rods sold from their stand at the Boat Show.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Jackson wrote:
What does this feel like compared to a B James out of interest?

'Possible commemorative model ?'

Commemorative model of what? .. a B James say
When i was originally told about this rod in April i was told it was B James. That,s the only reason it,s in this section. After seeing the rod in the flesh i now know it,s not a B James.

The rod feel,s very steely compared to some of the later B James rod,s. The action and feel is very much like the Southwell carp rod i have, i,m not saying it is a Southwell blank just that it,s close.

I was told it could be a commemorative rod for the capture of Clarissa at Redmire by Richard Walker in 1952 .......Maybe an anniversary model ?

Lee.

Jackson

Post by Jackson »

A rod like this that has 'something' very right about it would tend to garner a bit more speculation than another it could be true to say - so fair play there.

Again i am just going from the old memory box here with a pinch of salt. But that type of larger front of butt capping i should think many would associate mainly with the 50's, and i think it might be true to say that Southwell used those and B James did - but then so did others. If the idea was of say a 1962 anniversary rod somehow, then i would think those would have to be available still maybe in builders stocks. Unless i am wrong - was that fitting in fact 60's anyway?

If such a speculation could work at all there are not many dates that would suit - one almost definitely has to assume 10 year intervals right off for a logic. If it was a guess at 72 it begins to lose some sense perhaps, 82 does not feel right at all for it.

As an anniversary idea you have it does not sound impossible anyway just on that basis, since should you find one day its source which debunks it completely for you maker wise - then it might still have been built like that.

With nice rods like this it is interesting just to wonder and guess of course, and what they chose to call it does at least 'ring' that way.

One of those rods it would be really great to find out about, i would love to see you'd confirmed who made it, no matter who.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”