Sealey Flocast Mk 4 (Ambidex)

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Sealey Flocast Mk 4 (Ambidex)

Post by AshbyCut »

If you've taken a peek in the "Tackle You Are Looking For" you'll know that I now have one of these reels.

It arrived this lunchtime and, sad to say, I'm a tad disappointed. No mention was made in the listing of any problems, only that it was "used." However, when I opened the box and tried the handle it would hardly turn.

A little investigation revealed why. On starting to remove the side cover I found that both screws were only loosley tightened, and on removing it completely I found this ...

I can only assume that at some time the pin which locates in the spindle to make it rise and fall has been replaced with one that is about 2 to 3mm too long (perhaps another example of how parts vary between Ambidex models), as can be seen by the fact it stands proud of even the recess ridge for the plate showing behind it. When the plate is tightened down, of course, pressure is applied to the pin making it jam tight against the plate.

Not only that, but at some point the screws have been tightened down on it to such a degree that the plate itself has bent slightly under the pressure.

I'm keeping the reel and will sort the problems, as I wanted one specifically to go onto my 'Floatcaster Deluxe," but I have conveyed my disappointment to the seller ... politely, of course ... who shall remain nameless.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Robbi
Tench

Re: Sealey Flocast Mk 4 (Ambidex)

Post by Robbi »

Not good Sir, not good at all, are you able to put it right ?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Fortunately Robbi, Sir, I'm only about 30 miles from a certain Mr. Mills. :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

It sounds like it should have been listed as 'spares or repair'. Personally I'd request a part-refund or send it back and play the waiting game. Nobody wants bad ebay feedback.

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

That is ebay for you I have been stung a few times on there. Now I don't bother more trouble than its worth.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

How long is the pin AC? I have a few spares so may have one to fit.
Jim

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thank you VFC, Sir ... but I think what I need first is a schematic diagram of the inside of one of these ... in case the *** thing has been mis-assembled.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Hopefully the side cover can be straightened and a new pin will sort the reel. I've had to shorten one of those pins in the past as I found it was binding in the channel it slides along on the inside of the cover plate. I too have spare pins if you get stuck.

Does this help? It's an earlier reel but the pin through the shaft and the channel on the side plate are the same...

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby and VFC ... thanks for your help, Gentlemen both.

Further investigation (and seeing Nobby's photo) has convinced me that the pin has no place in this reel. The 'collar' not quite half way along it (see pics below) means that the longer section does not even reach into the groove in the main part of the reel body, and the clearance for the upper section is at most 3.6 mm whereas that section of the pin measures 6mm.

On the basis that I can't make it any worse, I'm simply going to remove 2.5mm from the pin and then see how it works.

Watch this space !!!

ps ... yes, I've tried assembling the reel with the collar on the pin between the actuating lever and the spindle, but this results in the gear mechanism being raised which prevents assembly.
Last edited by AshbyCut on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Good luck Sir. Fortune favours the brave.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”