Ambidex again

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Taprobanes

Ambidex again

Post by Taprobanes »

Help wanted again chaps, I've just aquired this reel on eBay and wanted to get any info about it as theres no number on it, I have a blue Ambidex and thats marked a 6 but nothing on this one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Taprobanes on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MGs
Pike

Re: Ambidex again

Post by MGs »

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/ambidex.htm

Yours is a fairly early half bale version. I'm sure someone will be along with more, shortly
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

This might help
Looks like yours is the first one

Ambidex Casting Reel - 1944
Ambidex No. 1 (half bale arm) - 1946
Ambidex No. 2 (half bale arm) - 1947
Ambidex No. 1 FP (full bale arm) - 1954
Ambidex No. 2 FP (full bale arm) - 1954
Ambidex No. 3 FP (full bale arm) - 1954
Ambidex No. 4 - 1959
Ambidex De-luxe - 1961
Ambidex Mk 5 - 1961
Ambidex Mk 6 (bronze or gold) - 1961
Ambidex Mk 6 SD (blue) - 1961
Ambidex Mk 7 - 1963
Ambidex Mk 6 (new shape) - 1964
Ambidex Mk 7 (new shape) - 1964
Ambidex De-luxe (new shape) - 1964
Ambidex Mk 8 (Delmatic) - 1964
Ambidex Mk 9 - 1965
Ambidex Match - 1967

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Mmmm! Its not a first issue casting reel I'm afraid - these onyl came in black (gloss or crinkle finish). It looks like the reel is missing its tear drop shaped check switch and is actually a hybrid made up of parts from various No.1 Casting reels - the side plates must be from a Type 3 (as it doesn't say "no.1" or "no.2" before casting reel - but the flyer isnt serrated and looks to me to be of a slightly different hue.

Moley will no doubt be along shortly to tell all with regards to the famous "parts bucket" but the non-matching paint indicates to em this was put together by an angler rather than by Youngs themselves. Hybrid Ambidexes are far from uncommon (Yates himself used one of course) and can be very good user reels. The only donwside from my view is that the reel should have the optional check mechanism but you cant use it due to the lack of switch.

ATB
Jim

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

Thanks Jim, not seen it yet but a bit disappointed as i thought It was a bit of a find, it went for next to nothing so that worried me.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Jim seems to have covered my initial thoughts on your reel Taprobanes but wait 'til you get your hands on it before you announce your disappointment because it might well be a splendid user.... you know, the thing it was designed for!

The Ambidex is a reasonably tough workhorse which with regular oiling and general care, should provide you with many years of honest work. The half bail takes a bit of getting used to but once mastered makes very little difference to the overrall performance.

If you are able, give the reel a good once over with oil and a thorough regrease. You never know it might be a real gem for the small to middle weight fish. The 'Bitsa' reels were/are very often good users because if they have been put together by someone who knows what they are doing, generally taking greater care to ensure it works as it should, they are nicely run-in.

When you get your reel let us know how it works and put some more photos up so we can be a little more sure of the provenance.

Mole Power :Sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Absolutely "handsome is as handsome does" as Charles Payne once noted!

(Moley can you please ask your diminutive furry cousins to leave my back lawn alone please - the little buggers have made it look like a moonscape and if they don't stop sharpish then there will be no croquet lawn this year!)

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Jim, try singing to them and asking in your song for them to have a look at your neighbours lawn!

Sorry about the Croquet but never mind as a few 'hills' give the player character.

A cake bribe always works with me....it is a bad day indeed when I refuse a tasty morsel of some delicate, delightful comestible!

Failing that, and I shouldn't be telling you this as it is going against my fellow Mole Kind, try putting one of those dreadfull electronic tunes that you get in Birthday Cards down the hole.....it drives them bonkers!

Still better that than calling in the Mole Catcher, an evil personage as far as I am concerned!!!

Mole Power :Sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Jim there,s only one way to get rid of moles and that,s the jasper carrot metthod

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82283822/

Sorry Moley

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

Well thanks Jim and Moley, with your encouragement ringing, I am now somewhat moleyfied.. :Chuckle:
As soon as I have the lad/lass in hand (around the 25th) I will post a few images together with any other info I can glean, more thoughts then will be most welcome.
Cost me a tenner so whatever I don’t think I’ve been had, when it's so old it makes me wonder about its history, all us old things need looking after towards the end!

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”