Avon Royal supreme 4 1/2'' or Rapidex 4''

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
WildCarpFisher.

Avon Royal supreme 4 1/2'' or Rapidex 4''

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Guy's what would make a better carp and barbel stalking reel in your view please, 8lb line?

Stef
Rudd

Re: Avon Royal supreme 4 1/2'' or Rapidex 4''

Post by Stef »

I would not use the Rapidex for this purpose because of its caged construction. In my opinion it makes it more difficult to wallis cast with.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

If you don't intend to wallis cast then the rapidex is a stronger reel, many big carp stalkers use them with heavy braid on modern short stalking rods to good effect. i prefer the trudex though, best of both worlds, strong and able to use wallis casting with the line guard removed :Thumb:

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Must be honest. Some 40 years ago the Rapidex was my only reel, and I learned the Wallis cast with it? But cannot remember the casing? Thanks for the help.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I'm not a big fan of Grice and Youngs reels to be honest, just don't like the pressed metal construction for both looks and build quality and find they tend to dink too easily, so would always go for the Rapidex or Trudex. Mind you I don't Wallis cast (its on my long "to learn" list!), preferring the coils on the newspaper approach, so don't get caught out by this issue.

Jim

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I Wallis cast my Rapidex controlling the line off the reel between the first and second ring (line coming off the top of the reel), It works perfectly well.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Jim, I can't think offhand of a Grice and Youngs reel that is made of pressed metal. All mine are machined castings, and although somewhat heavy, very well built, most of them intended for salmon and sea trout.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I have both reels and would say either.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Nobby wrote:Jim, I can't think offhand of a Grice and Youngs reel that is made of pressed metal. All mine are machined castings, and although somewhat heavy, very well built, most of them intended for salmon and sea trout.
Ah - my mistake: I was thinking of the Mordexes probably, so many cheap centrepins so little time! I still don't like the Grice and Youngs models though (they look too much like pressed metal :Happy: )so probably just mentally wrote them off.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

:Hahaha:

I hate to mention names on the 'net these days..it just drives up prices, but G&Y did one reel that is an utter belter for carp. Well made, solid and not too heavy, it'll even trot a line on the river too.

Let's just say it's got G and Y in its name......... :Wink:

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”