Shangri La Lake

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Scott
Tench

Shangri La Lake

Post by Scott »

This post is inspired by Shaun's recent post of the 100lb common...

In John Langride's book Aphrodite's Carp he mentions a lake, Shangri La Lake, in which lurks a 100lb carp.
Now I'm not asking for top secrets to be revealed here, just wondering if anyone from here has fished it or knows anything about it. John mentioned it to be in Spain and gives a detailed description, I used this info to search google earth but needle and haystack soon sprung to mind....

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: Shangri La Lake

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

assume it is not Shangri La lake in the caravan site in Essex!

famous in the 70s and the rats (not carp) could well have grown to 100 lb by now

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

There are so many different carp around the world and some do grow over 100lb. HJaving not read the book is it definitely Cyprinus Carpio he is writing about as there are many others...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprinidae

Cyprinidae (the carp family) Asian carp Indian carp

True carp species
African carp Bighead carp Black carp Carnatic carp Common carp (European carp) Chinese mud carp Crucian carp Deccan white carp Fringed-lipped peninsula carp Goldfish Grass carp Hora white carp Koi Mud carp Pigmouth carp Predatory carp Prussian carp Siamese mud carp Silver carp Smallscale mud carp Krishna Carp Siamese mud carp Japanese crucian carp Giant salmon carp Mirror carp Siamese giant carp Nile carp Sabre carp

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

He is writing about the same carp as we have here - commons/mirrors.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

I'm sure in some of the big lakes in France and Spain they must grow to that size? I fished a relatively small lake in France that had fish to 60s plus. I saw the pictures and the lake was only maybe 30/40 acres. Some lakes in France or 10 times that size?

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

But size isn't everything :Wink:

Don't foget Redmire Pool is about 2.7 acres and that has had carp caught to over 50lbs, plus overwhelming evidence of other carp that were in there to over 60lbs, and one much larger than that.

It is water quality and temperatures/ weather conditions, along ith the actual specifics of the lake itself that would determine potential maximum size, and that's without the additional weight that can be achieved by artificial feeding.
Last edited by Julian on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Langridge - is the name of a gravel pit partially owned by the Lee Valley Regional park. Huge carp 50+.

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

I'm going to have another read of this then, I don't recall that.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

WindJammer wrote:I'm going to have another read of this then, I don't recall that.
Second to last chapter 'Carp Waters'.....

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

Scott wrote:
WindJammer wrote:I'm going to have another read of this then, I don't recall that.
Second to last chapter 'Carp Waters'.....
Ta muchly Squire. :Hat:

I'd guess Spain, I understand there is a native black bass population over there. That's where the trail ends, intriguing claim he makes in that last sentence,how could he state that? Hmmmm.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”