My new rod has arrived?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
WildCarpFisher.

My new rod has arrived?

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Hello.

My 1957 B.James rod arrived this morning. It's stunning refurbished by Paul Cook and I brought through a dealer and paid top price. but I'm happy. It will last me to my end expect? I will post some pictures with the new reel over the weekend.

When putting it together I noticed the feral was very tight. Is it worth putting something on it to make it easier? Or will it wear in? I'm just a bid worried it may stick while I'm out fishing?

I've forgotten (over 40 years) just how lissom cane is. At 1/1/2 t/c it feels lighter? Also have you noticed how they fit into a slim tube with the small rings tight to the rod. I thought when it arrived this cannot be my rod, it's too slim?

Thanks.

Richard.

Julian
Salmon

Re: My new rod has arrived?

Post by Julian »

A fine purchase that I am sure you will get great pleasure out of using :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have been told you should never put anything on ferrules to lubricate them. I think the reason is that dust and girt etc stick to it. This causes it to get messed up and causes damage too.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

You lucky man WCF.

I can't wait to see the pictures.

Gaz

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

I feel they may be a little dirty, can you clean them with anything like spirit or alcohol?

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

WildCarpFisher. wrote:I feel they may be a little dirty, can you clean them with anything like spirit or alcohol?
I honestly don't know. But I'd only use water and dry them out well. I'd also keep them out of the bag for a few days so they don't go away damp.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'd ask Paul what you should do but certainly don't put anything on them. It might be that they can be fettled with carborundum paper or graphite but I'm certainly not advising you do this – ask the expert before you do anything.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I'm sure someone well clued up will come along shortly. But I would worry about things reacting with the brass or (more likely) the varnish. Especially if the brass is original and on a more valuable rod too.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

better tight than slack! I've used T cut, Brasso or 1200 grit wet and dry successfully on the male ferrule. It's worth checking the female ferrule is clean inside with no oxidation. did you get a puff of dust? when assembling and dismantling for the first time?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Gentle brasso works for me.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”