URGENT ADVICE ON BUYING MK4

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

URGENT ADVICE ON BUYING MK4

Post by Harry H »

Hi chaps your expertise is needed I am going to look at a mk4 carp tomorrow from what I have heard so far it looks like its a later model red whippings no shoulder collar,some damage to transfers(can these be replaced).I would be grateful for any advice.
Many thanks
Harry :Beg:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

St.John
Tench

Re: URGENT ADVICE ON BUYING MK4

Post by St.John »

I'd leave the transfers unless you really, really want them re done. I doubt there are new transfers available, but pen and ink can do the job. I have re touched before, but only on one rod and as an experiment. I won't do it again.so long as the price is right, the cane is good and the Ferruls are in good condition it should be ok.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

As long as it's straight, and the fitting nice and tight.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Whenever I get an old cane rod, which is normaly from the bootfairs, I put a reel on and tie the line to my gate and give the rod a good flex just to listen for sharp cracking or splintering noises, but not silly pressure of course. If you do not know the person you are buying from maybe you could ask him/her to do that for you, so you can have a listen. This type of rod is quite a lot of money to spend, well it is for me, so I would like to feel that I am not buying a pup. After all you would feel gutted if the cane parted company at your first decent fish because someone had glued a splintered rod back together almost invisibly! All the best, Reedling :Hat:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Thanks for your replies,just off to have look,here's hoping. :Beg:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

the mk4 has allways had a problem that the top section tends to take a set,if they have not been looked after well,ive restored many b james rods with quite a few having one main fault,that being the female ferrules.when polished up, ready to reblue,i have found very fine hair line cracks in them.so put the rod together,give it some gentle movment up down and sideways with your ear to the bottom section and listen for any faint clicking sounds,ferrules that make a popping sound do not mean the joints are good.best of luck.chubman

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

How did you get on?

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Not very well :Brickwall: still looking.I have had some very useful pm's from members,also I have sold all my modern carp gear so I can afford to set my sights a bit higher now.I am also thinking of going though a dealer as I want one that can be used regularly without ending up with a bunch bits.
Anthony Shepherdson

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Tradtioalangling and The VFC who are both members on here have MKIV's from time to time and Steve(TA) and Jim(VFC) are both sound chaps.

Gaz

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

If you have deep pockets and want one of the best MkIVs ever built I can point you towards it, and no it's not a Barder this time.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”