R.W.MK1V CARP AND MK1V AVONS

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Barney
Grayling

R.W.MK1V CARP AND MK1V AVONS

Post by Barney »

HI ALL,
i wonder if anyone can tell me why it should be that i have a mk1v carp and 2 mk1v avons and all three have different length butts,the carp being the longest and the two avons being shorter than one another,

Barney

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Re: R.W.MK1V CARP AND MK1V AVONS

Post by JerryC »

Hi Barney, not sure that I can help completely but from memory (we’re going back a bit here) ofmy visits to B James & Son in the early days (are these B James rods you are referring to?) DW in his earlier attempts extended the handle of the Wallis Avon from 20” to I believe 24” .Then he produced a handle of 28” and around 1950/51 the MK1V carp rod appeared (10') with a handle of 30” - what length handles do you have?
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Barney
Grayling

Post by Barney »

Hi JerryC,
many thanks for your information,the three rods in question are B.James,the length of the mk1v carp is 28"
and the 2 Avon mk1vs are 23 1/2" and 24 1/2" the measurments are not including the rubber button,

Barney

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Barney, The only reason that I can think of are due to the design changes of the 50's. The rod handles were subject to 'cosmetic' changes with the Carp rod generally between 28 -30" with the first being the trumpet handle in 1952 , followed by two versions of the onion handle, and finally the fourth version, around 1958, of the more bulbous handle. Also the first Avon had a t/c of approximately 1lb with later versions being stepped up to approx. 1.25 so various changes were being made. I'm sure there are others that will be able to provide a clearer view but I would put it down to various design tweaks that you would expect after anything new is introduced.
Jerry.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”