Green whipped Mk1v

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Green whipped Mk1v

Post by Ljm183 »

Does this look right ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-James-MK-IV ... 4d0cc36196

Would it have been made with green whipping and an unlined butt ring ?

Lee.

St.John
Tench

Re: Green whipped Mk1v

Post by St.John »

dunno. what i am not sure about is the onion handle on a green whipped b james... thought they came later? god knows. someonre thinks its worth it tho!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I think green whipping was possible on onion handled rods. The seller mentions the big ring not being agate – could be genuine I guess. Hard to tell if the rod has been redone without seeing it in reality.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

the label is described as written in ink-we all.know what that implies-but looking at it it looks like the bog standard label, am o wrong? And if not than d'ya recon that's why the price is so high?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

St.John wrote:the label is described as written in ink-we all.know what that implies-but looking at it it looks like the bog standard label, am o wrong? And if not than d'ya recon that's why the price is so high?
I was thinking the same, that is a bog standard label , would,nt a Mk1v with the writing in black ink have a trumpet handle and Ealing London. NOT London England

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Yes it would be Ealing with a trumpet handle and as rare as… Chris Ball would know for sure but I think the 'Walker signature rods', of which it is thought that about 25 may have been made, would have all most certainly had the hand script along the face of the cane, like all the rods Walker himself finished. I may be wrong on this. But to my eyes this is a standard onion handled rod that may have been restored at some time.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Beresford wrote:Yes it would be Ealing with a trumpet handle and as rare as… Chris Ball would know for sure but I think the 'Walker signature rods', of which it is thought that about 25 may have been made, would have all most certainly had the hand script along the face of the cane, like all the rods Walker himself finished. I may be wrong on this. But to my eyes this is a standard onion handled rod that may have been restored at some time.
That's what I was getting at. Is that a lot of money For an Avon or what tho? I dunno, but seems absolutely top wack to me.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

I know for a fact that green whipping was used on some production MK1V rods simply because the shop had run out of crimson.
Jerry
PS, of course DW also used green on some of his hand made rods also.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The butt ring is odd being both unlined and wonky. Perhaps James ran out of agates as well as crimson silk! It looks genuine enough to me, onion handle so should be decent cane and with a Paul Cook varnish job it's probably worth about £350 – £375 in my honest opinion. Paul could tells us more I'm sure, but I suspect it might be considered ungentlemanly to pass comment on a customer's rod that's been through his workshop.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”