Wildies?

This forum is for discussing carp.
Azur
Dace

Wildies?

Post by Azur »

Hiya folks,

This morning in search of a little peace and quiet I decided I would fish an old village pond, somewhere I haven't fished since my early teens. It's a lovely little place and I have many fond memories of my first carp captures from their. There used to be a finicky little group of tench in there too, I never caught one larger than a pound but they were beautiful - sadly I think they have perished over the years. Aswell as the tench, the pond is home to a number of carp, both commons and pretty little mirrors.

Being a village pond it even has a few goldfish which I guess have been released there over the years, I like to think from the village fayres of years past. My largest carp from there was around six pounds, and I regard it as a true wildie; but sadly I didn't take a picture as this was many moons ago. But today I was delighted to have a few wild(?) carp to the two pound mark grace my net. I am by no means a traditional fisherman (tradisherman lol?) but I must say it was a lovely way to spend the morning, gazing at an active float - it certainly beats the motionless bobbins that I have become accustomed to watching these days. :Confused:

But I digress, what do ya reckon... Wildies, or not?

I can't understand how pretty little mirrors such as this one got in there though http://imgur.com/ug8iIBm, it makes me doubt the 'wild carp strain' and think perhaps they're just feral carp? They sure look wild enough though...

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Wildies?

Post by Snape »

What a lovely find. Those little carp will be great fun on light tackle.
I would say they are carp which have been left alone for enough time to have become feral and show reversion to a wild state, so essentially 'wildies'.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Wild or not, they're nice fish and I'm sure they provide a very pleasurable way to spend an afternoon using light tackle. I understand they don't grow as large a "king?" carp. How big do "wildies" get?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

MaggotDrowner wrote:Wild or not, they're nice fish and I'm sure they provide a very pleasurable way to spend an afternoon using light tackle. I understand they don't grow as large a "king?" carp. How big do "wildies" get?
A double figure wildie would be a big fish but maybe a huge one might push 20lb.
True wild carp would be single figures.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Tradisherman? That's my line!!! :Wink:

Joking aside, keep your little gem of a pond close to your chest, enjoy it and only show it to those close to you. This is the sort of pond I shall teach Jessica to fish. :Hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Short barbels, no apparent notch - some interesting genes, I'd say: they are certainly ferals, I think.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Feral strains are funny. I guess all the genes are still there it is just that over the generations they re-sort themselves and the stronger 'wild' ones come to the fore.
In a local commercial lake full of regular commons and lots of linears, I caught this little chap who has all the hallmarks of a little feral fish but it is the only one I have caught there.

Azur
Dace

Post by Azur »

FB and Snape, some very interesting information, thanks. There is definitely some genetic influence from non-wild carp, as in my teens I caught a number of goldfish, aswell as some prussian-esque carp, and some nice mirrors aswell - one of which was definitely of 'king carp' strain going on the portly belly and shoulders it had. But the wiry little tench are a mystery, it makes me think perhaps that there are some old strains of carp in there.

Apologies for stealing your line SK, I didn't realise haha :Beg:
But my thoughts were the same, the kind of place I would teach my child to fish, enchanting stuff. :Sun:

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

This one went like a bullet ....

It originally came from a remote moorland pool that was being filled in....there was only three in the pool/lake when it was drained...

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Ferals?, a couple of our club farm ponds provide residence to some delightful specimens - true 'wildies' however, you could probably count the number of English waters on less than one hand.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”