Legerdale?

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Estaban

Legerdale?

Post by Estaban »

Anyone familiar with this model? 9 foot three piece, thought it would make a nice stalking rod but haven't been able to find much information on it. Previous owner had purchased it in California as a salmon rod, but knew nothing else about it.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Legerdale?

Post by Nobby »

That's quite a late Aspindale, made by Peter Aspindale, who only retired a couple of years ago....his are the rods with that transfer.

I'd always presumed the rod was made for legering, fishing with a weight holding the bottom......but that rod name is therefore misspelt....the letter 'd' means the word has a different meaning, an accounts book for monetary entries.

Not really sure to be honest....

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Actually ledge as in 'standing on a ledge' is spelt with a 'd'... Fisherman either spell it wrong or the term legering is derived from something else or maybe even an alternative spelling..
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, it's French...leger....apparently. All I can find is the suggestion that it means 'light' or 'slight'.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

This online dictionary gives one definition of "leger" (grave accent over the first 'e') as "Light" which can be applied to weight.

http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/dic ... leger.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Thank you Nobby, PoD and AC
It is fairly light in weight tipping the scales at just under 300 grams, "waggles" similar to a 6 weight fly rod that I had handy.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Does it have a tip ring with an 8BA thread tapped into its tubular section?
If so, it's probably meant for le(d)gering for roach and bream, much feebler prey than salmon. However, in the heyday of the swing-tip, weights of three-quarters of an ounce were often used, and it would be the ability to cast these, rather than the power needed to subdue a bream, that may have enabled it to cope with salmon - I'll bet they put a bend in it, though!
If my guess is right, it should have quite a soft tip, to cushion hooklengths as light as one pound breaking-strain, but quite a lot of power further down; I seem to remember reading that in the search for the ideal swing-tip rod, quite a few fly-rod blanks were used, so it will be no great shock if it does lay a No 6 line out quite nicely... it could be a fair all-rounder!
Certainly a fine maker; a real find.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

No threading in the tip, thank you for the info Vole

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I bought one years ago :) They do make an excellent tench rod. I have just purchased another over the weekend...
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”