Aspindale

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
NiceRoach
Eel

Aspindale

Post by NiceRoach »

niceroach

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Re: Aspindale

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear sir I guess this rod is a light roach rod so I decided to buy it .I've been looking for 7 years for this type of float rod ,to use on the Cambridge university clubs Bourne brook which is just above Byrons pool in Grantchester .I hope the rod will be to my liking as I payed on the reserve so it was not cheap ,but I'll have to wait and see.The brook has mainly small fish so it should fit the bill.I had a swift dale when I started fishing at 14 hrs old but bough longer rods as I worked.Reelmaker.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Well ReelMaker if its in reasonable nick I reckon you've done alright, I've just bought an Aspindale, bit tatty, but its starting to clean up well and I really like its feel, I hope you get on well with your new rod :)
Best Fishes
Mushy

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

ReelMaker, Sir ... if the rod fishes as well as it looks then I'm sure it will fully repay your investment.

It's not much more than I paid for my Foster Bros. of Ashbourne "The Perfection Roach Rod," which is a very similar configuration and one I would be loathe to part with.

I wish you many hours of pleasure in it's company.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

I have an Earndale which looks to a similar rod and it’s a delightful thing. 10’ 6”, weighs a tad less that the Lucky Strike and is perfect for smaller rivers, or still waters where nothing bigger than a few pounds might be expected.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Since Peter Aspindale once said that he thought all their rods were hollow-built, I'd expect your Gemdale to something like my slightly earlier Avondale, Reelmaker .... and it is indeed a lovely roach rod. Judging by the late transfer on your rod it will be one made by Peter himself so surely hollow-built.

Perhaps not as quick to strike or mend line as a modern carbon rod it should feel very light in the hand. I know a couple of other folk with Avondales and nobody is selling theirs.

I'm not sure how the Avondale name came about...it is no Avon rod at all being clearly designed for close-in light fishing in gentle rivers. Perhaps that explains why Peter's 10'6" rod has another name...?

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,I thank you all for all you help .Reelmaker

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

ReelMaker wrote:Dear sir I guess this rod is a light roach rod so I decided to buy it .I've been looking for 7 years for this type of float rod ,to use on the Cambridge university clubs Bourne brook which is just above Byrons pool in Grantchester .I hope the rod will be to my liking as I payed on the reserve so it was not cheap ,but I'll have to wait and see.The brook has mainly small fish so it should fit the bill.I had a swift dale when I started fishing at 14 hrs old but bough longer rods as I worked.Reelmaker.
Looks beautiful - hope you enjoy it, and catch loads.
niceroach

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I received the Gemdale rod on Saturday but was not happy ,there were a number of issues so I decided to return it back .I will have to keep looking but not on ebay ,very dissapointed .I will look at the Vintage shops and avoid auctions.Reelmaker.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

ReelMaker wrote:I received the Gemdale rod on Saturday but was not happy ,there were a number of issues so I decided to return it back .I will have to keep looking but not on ebay ,very dissapointed .I will look at the Vintage shops and avoid auctions.Reelmaker.
That's a shame - at least the seller is reputable, and accepts returns, without a quibble.

I've been given good advice via this forum to buy *more expensive* cane privately, ebay is a
gamble.
niceroach

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”