B James mk VI avon

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

B James mk VI avon

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Hello everybody, this is my first post, please be mild...
I am quite new to traditional coarse fishing. I do my fishing (float, light ledger) in the polders in The Netherlands, drains, small stillwaters, gravel pits, mainly for roach, perch, bream, tench. I fish a Sealey Octofloat. There are a lot of zander in the waters I fish. I recently aquired a B James mk IV carp rod to fish for zander with it. I am very impressed with the quality of the rod. It made me wonder if I should try to get a mk IV avon rod. But I do not know if the action is suited for my fishing with floats for small to medium sized fish.
Can anybody of you knowledgeable traditionalists help, please.
Thank you very much, best, Bobby

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: B James mk VI avon

Post by Beresford »

Bobby, hi and welcome to the forum. The MkIV Avon is well suited to light float fishing and ledgering for all sorts of fish and I'd say it would an ideal addition to your collection. Some prefer an 11' rod but given the type of fishing you list I think the 10' rod would be suitable.

Rather like the MkIV Carp rod there are a range of tapers that are all around the same MkIV version but they all vary. The B. James version, or at least my experience of it, results in a rod that feels a bit kind of languid, not in a bad way and this makes it quite a good lighter carp rod. I do feel it's slow to strike. Having seen other versions that were built to Walkers precise taper, I'd say the rod as he intended it to be, is a bit faster and perhaps a bit more tippy in action with more backbone through the mid section of the taper than the B. James version. This might just be my impression, I had and then later sold a very good late 1950's example of the B. James. Good examples of all are very nice rods to use but all slightly different.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Thank you for your superfast reply. I also believe a 10`rod is a good choice for the small waters I fish. I sometimes feel overgunned with the 11´rod. I like the long handle on the mk IV carp compared to the Octofloat. It balances the rod perfectly, just a good feel. Is the handle on the avon of the same length?
Could you give me some information on the other versions of the mkIV avon you mentioned, please. I know there is a Chapman avon, is this also a mk IV version? And where could I find a good dealer? I would not like to buy off ebay for such a valuable item. So many questions, I hope you do not mind asking all this in my first post. I am just very exited about it.
Many thanks, your help is truly appreciated. Best, Bobby

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Bobby.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Thanks Mark, best wishes from the other side of the channel. Bobby

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome to the forum, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Hello Sir
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

A very warm welcome to you sir . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Welcome to the forum Bobby, I'm sure you will enjoy it here. There are many very knowledgeable people here, don't be afraid to ask questions. No one knows it all, and we can all learn from the answers. I know I do!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Bobby Marlene wrote:Thank you for your superfast reply. I also believe a 10`rod is a good choice for the small waters I fish. I sometimes feel overgunned with the 11´rod. I like the long handle on the mk IV carp compared to the Octofloat. It balances the rod perfectly, just a good feel. Is the handle on the avon of the same length?
Could you give me some information on the other versions of the mkIV avon you mentioned, please. I know there is a Chapman avon, is this also a mk IV version? And where could I find a good dealer? I would not like to buy off ebay for such a valuable item. So many questions, I hope you do not mind asking all this in my first post. I am just very exited about it.
Many thanks, your help is truly appreciated. Best, Bobby

Hi Bobby,

The MkIV Avon typically has a handle a couple of inches shorter than the carp but I think it's perfect for the rod. Other versions, I'm well acquainted with: the Hardy version, a friend had a superb one, the Olivers MkV is the nicest of all for looks and the one I've handled had the fastest 'return to straight' of any cane rod I've ever known. Shaun Linsley built to Walkers taper as far as I'm aware. The one of these I had the opportunity to buy didn't suit me, I felt it just too light in every respect.

I now own a Sharpes of Aberdeen Avon, it's not a fast in the tip as either Hardy or the Olivers but I much prefer it to the B. James rod. Keep in mind that I'm basing this on one of each so not all will be identical. None of these rods are exactly common and therefore they command premium prices, particularly the Hardy and Olivers, if you can find one for sale. I'd say the Hardy is rare. The Chapman 500 is a different taper to the MkIV Avon but still a nice rod.

Dealers, well at least two good ones are members here. If you put in something like Vintage fishing tackle into Google you'll come up with some names. Obviously you'll be paying more if you buy through a dealer but you'll get some sort of guarantee. I would never ever under any circumstances whatsoever buy a cane rod that I hadn't seen in the flesh unless the explicit understanding was that I could return it if unhappy in any way.

One dealer has an Edward Barder one for sale but I think it's about £1,000.

Please be aware this is just my view and others will, I'm sure, chip in.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”