B.James MkIV rod for £9.75

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

B.James MkIV rod for £9.75

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I know it is too good to be true but what is more this rod was brand new and in the correct B.James bag and all for less than a tenner.

Hopefully attached to this post is the receipt for my B.James MkIV rod which I purchased from Charles Roy Ltd. (Ironmongers) of Warwick Road - Acocks Green - Birmingham. The receipt shows that I put down the deposit of £1 on 19 May 1970 and returned with the balance of £8.75 funnily enough on 15 June 1970 (there must have been something significant about that).

I recall entering the shop and the cane rods were displayed on the left hand side and ALL of them had been reduced to clear. There must have been 30 + B.James rods in that rack and it literally was as much as I could do to buy just the one.

I still have the rod and after many years of use having caught some very decent (for me anyway) carp I persuaded Edward Barder to restore it for me as the rings had become worn and the top had acquired a slight set. It now sits comfortably as it always did indoors and three of four times a year it has an outing to re-encounter the odd carp or barbel and perhaps an outing this year for Image what it did so well for me in July 1970 when I caught my best ever Chub on the River Severn weighing some 5lb 12oz using this rod whilst spinning with a blue and silver No. 1 Mepps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: B.James MkIV rod for £9.75

Post by Reedling »

When I saw this post appear I thought..lucky b******r...I have always wanted a MK1V and could never afford one and I am still looking at the bootfairs and hoping :Beg: :Beg: Then I saw the date and read further :Hahaha: I started my first job back in 1970 and was earning just over £6 a week as an apprentice so I would not have been able to afford one back then either Reedling. :Hat:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: B.James MkIV rod for £9.75

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Reedling I jest not when I say I saved 2 shillings per day at this time riding my bicycle to work and back (15 miles each way) + I cut right down on food, beer and smoking to raise the money but hey I have had over 40 years of enjoyment from this small sacrifice.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”