The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Albert47
Dace

Re: The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

Post by Albert47 »

David wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:21 pm what colour glass is the rod made of ?
The same as in Deaf Cats photo.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Great. That's the same as mine. Do you happen to have the original bag for it. I have with mine + its B James & Son label

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

David wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:34 pm Great. That's the same as mine. Do you happen to have the original bag for it. I have with mine + its B James & Son label
Yes I do,and both rod and bag are in very good condition.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Ok. I think now for my part the subject of early B James fibreglass rods has run its course. So I would like to thank all those who have made a contribution to the post. Thanks

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

David wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:08 pm I know this is a very old post but I have only just found it. I have a match rod built by B James & Son that looks very much like the rod in question. Although mine is a 3 piece 13ft 1inch Match rod without a separate handle. It has its original cloth bag and label. It is the same colour and marked above the cork handle, B James & Son England. What is worth noting is that this rod and my rod are joined together in the opposite way to others. The male connecting piece is on the top section and pushes in to the female ferrule on the lower section and the next lower section join in the same way as split cane rods joined. All later rods have the female connection on the top piece that fits over a male spigot on the lower sections like all later rods join.
Hi David, I have a 14’6” 4 piece similar to yours. It is definitely a b.james only rod. A beast to use! I shall put up some pics. PS I also have a b.james, not b and w , avon type rod that needs a total rebuild. There is a thread here somewhere i started under traditional rods then fibreglass section. Cheers Ed.

David
Dace

Post by David »

What colour glass is your rod made of. Is it the same as the rod that first started these posts ?

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

David wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:54 pm What colour glass is your rod made of. Is it the same as the rod that first started these posts ?
Yes David, brown. I also saw a thread on fishingmagic forum where it is suggested the blank is an early sportex. Ed.

David
Dace

Post by David »

So does that mean it is not a blank made by B James & Son ?

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

David wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:57 pm So does that mean it is not a blank made by B James & Son ?
Not sure mate. There is very little history available. Have to wait and see if anything appears on here !

David
Dace

Post by David »

OK my friend

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”