Avon Perfection

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Badger1
Roach

Avon Perfection

Post by Badger1 »

Last weekend I took charge of a Andrew Davis “Avon Perfection” a lovely light coloured cane 11’ 2 piece rod. Andrew is often telling me about the virtues of a full Avon action rod, the all-through action and the lovely curve which can take place if you connect to a decent fish or the washing line pole at the end of the garden. :Chuckle:

I’m usually someone who likes a stiffer action rod. But this latest taper is a superb design and capable of handling large fish if done carefully. As Andrew puts it the rod has “a forgiving taper” the tip section is light enough for float/grayling fishing but substantial enough for good fish so it’s a real all-rounder, with limits obviously.

The balance is superb enabling you to spend all day or a very long session without a bank stick being needed. The action of the rod also makes it great for casting the lightest of tackle or even substantial baits, one of the nicest modern rods to use a centre pin with. Photos below show the action of this model and my first fish on the rod.

Last edited by Badger1 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Re: Avon Perfection

Post by GarryProcter »

Great action shots Badger1 - I think I might have waggled that rod when I picked up my Perfection Roach a couple of weeks ago. If so then it is a wonderful rod. As you say, a real 'all-rounder'.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Lovely rod, lovely reel, lovely location and great fish! :Thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

What Snape said :Thumb:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Very nice indeed
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

James
Rudd

Post by James »

Yes Badger1 ,all rods are tested scientifically using the Washing line post at the end of the garden.how else would you test them? :Thumb:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well I'll be......I've just finished an Avon rod restoration myself and I did it in mid-green tipped with red, just like that.

Sadly, that's where the similarities end......my work and Andrews are some poles apart.

Good demonstration of the action there...the tip is all but straigtened out again as the butt takes the strain, helped by the angler keeping the rod low to the water.

I still think you've got two left arms and a right one Badger!

Either that or one day that camera is going to get a swimming lesson.....

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Now that's a through action, bending all the way to the handle lovely looking set up.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Badger I am sure that's the same rod Andrew showed me at the AGM as you say lovely and light perfect for roving great pictures as well
Bumble

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Very nice all around

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”