Chapmans 550 MK4 rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Guest47

Chapmans 550 MK4 rod

Post by Guest47 »

Hello, I see a listing on Ebay (ref#181227225823) for the above rod. Three questions-based on the photographs I see the guides are questionable ( greenish tinged and blotchy) -need replace??How much to rethread new guides??and as I would want this for float work are these the correct "float style" rings/guides??

Just wanted to get a better picture of what I might be bidding on- is this worth the gamble? at what price??

Thanks.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Chapmans 550 MK4 rod

Post by Nobby »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181227225823? ... 26_rdc%3D1

That original butt ring does indeed look pretty corroded, you might polish out the damage, but it'll actually look worse for it. It's perfectly possible to replace the ring, though you'd struggle to find another just like that.

The rings on the rod were not designed for float fishing really, they might well allow a light float-fishing line to stick to the rod when wet. But since it is a carp rod you'd likely not be fishing such light lines anyway.

You'll notice the ferrule and butt ring whipping are over-whipped with copper wire. It can still be sourced should you decide to bid for it.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I bought a very beat-up Chapman MkIV 550 some years ago - well quite a few years ago for £40. I contacted Chapmans in Ware and they kindly fully restored it for me with new rings and whippings and the rod is a joy to use. I use it on the farm ponds I fish as a float rod and it deals well with the Carp there that run to around the 10lb mark. It has also seen action on the Teme - feeder ledgering for chub and barbel before I had acquired beefier rods for the leviathans that inhabit the lower Teme. Even so it has seen some decent Barbel to around 8lbs tamed and subdued.

If you have the chance to acquire this rod and are successful then if you get as much pleasure from it as I have had from mine you will be well pleased.

Guest47

Post by Guest47 »

The rings on the rod were not designed for float fishing really, they might well allow a light float-fishing line to stick to the rod when wet. But since it is a carp rod you'd likely not be fishing such light lines anyway

Actually, Carp is my main interest. Floats and 6-8 lbs lines lightly shotted with Driftbeaters & Loafers are what I want to use in 4'-5' water. Center pin also.

Can you tell what kind of guides are needed for retrofit? Thanks!

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

I have two chapman 550s..they are beautiful rods and since owning them ive had many Carp some over 20lbs and pike to 22lbs, they handle large fish extremely well .

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I've got one I never use. This has decided it. Straight to ebay!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

MkIV Carp and Avon rods are usually fitted with Full Open Bridge rings, as are spinning rods and other heavy-duty rods. They keep the line close to the rod.

Float fishing rods tend to use High Bells Life rings. The ring part is attached to long legs, keeping the line well away from the rod to prevent the line sticking to it.

I've just bought a set of High Bells rings from the Bay, tip and butt Agatine-lined - nice. A chap is also selling Chapman style butt rings and others:

Worth a look.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

PershoreHarrier wrote:I bought a very beat-up Chapman MkIV 550 some years ago - well quite a few years ago for £40. I contacted Chapmans in Ware and they kindly fully restored it for me with new rings and whippings and the rod is a joy to use. I use it on the farm ponds I fish as a float rod and it deals well with the Carp there that run to around the 10lb mark. It has also seen action on the Teme - feeder ledgering for chub and barbel before I had acquired beefier rods for the leviathans that inhabit the lower Teme. Even so it has seen some decent Barbel to around 8lbs tamed and subdued.

If you have the chance to acquire this rod and are successful then if you get as much pleasure from it as I have had from mine you will be well pleased.
I thought I would try and add a photo of the restored rod so hopefully here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Lucky chap, Sir !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

The Mk IV 550 is indeed a very fine rod - take no notice of the note under the photo by the way as that is just a reference to where the photo is stored on my Computer.

I don't know if Chapman's still refurbish former products that have not received the proper care and attention but if they do then they turned what was a Sow's Ear when I acquired it back to the Silk Purse it always was.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”