Handles

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Macko
Grayling

Handles

Post by Macko »

Woody's of Wembley do some nice cane handles and only about £30.
I bought one off John Druitt at the Romsey Tackle Fair a couple of years
ago called The Redmire made by Hardings which might be Clive from
Young's of Harrow,not sure.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Handles

Post by Beresford »

I think I have one of these bought at a Redditch fair at least 10 years ago. 6' of straight cane pole of a decent diameter with the nodes whipped in deep red silk, a brass 'button' and a threaded brass top. Super rock hard varnish and all for £30. It's been one of my best buys.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

They have a website. I might drop them a line. Cheers for the information
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I finished this handle in March. Hoping I get to use it this summer. It’s made from an old rod butt. The rest of the rod was missing and it was in pretty poor condition. I’ve added a leather cord grip over the worst section, where the wood was a bit mangled. I soldered and screwed in a home made 3/8th threaded brass section into the ferrule, then Whipped and varnished It all.
I’ve just been through the remaining odds and ends of job lot bits and think I have enough to make another “Bitza” rod. :idea: Image
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

:Hat: That looks very smart, pity you can't get out to use it at the moment.
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Is there a supplier of the brass fittings used in landing net poles? I know a place where feral black bamboo grows. It would look lovely as a landing net pole.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

If you mean the 3/8 ths (?) female thread for the landing net head ... for those of us without metal stock and tap and dye sets ... all I have done for the two I've made over the years is take an old - cheap - rod rest ... the ones that cost a quid or two and bend and break rather easily .... cut off with a junior hacksaw the alum. tube to maybe 4 - 6 inches or if you prefer 10 - 15 centimetres - leaving the female thread in situ then insert and epoxy resin/glue the whole lot into the end of an appropriate diameter bamboo cane. Whip and varnish to your taste and there you have it. Sorted.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Thank you for that Barbulus. :Hat:

I hadn't thought of doing it that way. So simple even I can have a go at that solution. :Hahaha:

In fact, while I am waiting for the time we will be allowed to travel wider so I can liberate the black bamboo I can make a practise landing net handle out of the common stuff in our neighbour's garden. I cut eight poles this morning in preparation for the beans being planted. I'm sure my wife won't miss one :whistle:

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I have a suitable length of bamboo that I liberated from a neighbouring garden to practise on. The questions now are:

Do I need to punch or drill out the internal membranes that divide the cane into cells?

And, I have a gas BBQ with a lid. I had planned to feed the cane through slowly with the lid resting on top of the cane so that all the cane gets a good drying out. Is that OK or is there a better way?

TIA

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Clive,
I have made few net poles, some exactly the way you propose .

Drying the cane makes it far stiffer to use, When I dry it I first punch out all the internal nodes using a length of Rebar, from either end, this allows the hot air to escape without blowing a hole in the area around the nodes. Apparently the Chinese used to make firecrackers for their kids by cutting lengths of bamboo either side of a nodal section , they would throw them on the fire, when the air inside the section expanded it exploded with a bang.
It has never happened to me but I dont want it to either, so removing the internal nodes seems a good idea, especially if you are going to flame the pole and varnish it.

I dry the poles using a hot air stripper if it is staying self colour, and a blowlamp on the outside if it is going to be flamed .
If flaming I would recommend a trial on some scrap bamboo first, it can go horribly wrong quickly if you are not prepared.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”