Rod Length & Hook Ring

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Rod Length & Hook Ring

Post by Mark »

As far as I know Leigh there was no hook ring on the B James MK IV. You have a lovely rod there.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Leigh some MK1v,s had keeper ring,s some didn't and the correct length should be 10ft 2in

How many ring,s on your rod,s tip section ?

Lee.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

What length handle has the rod got as it look,s more like a MK1v carp not an avon ? Has it got avon written on the butt section ?

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Ljm183 wrote:Leigh some MK1v,s had keeper ring,s some didn't and the correct length should be 10ft 2in

How many ring,s on your rod,s tip section ?

Lee.
They do vary a bit in length - but if its less than 10' I'd suggest its not the length it once was. It could be the light but the tip ring whipping and the bottom butt ring whipping look to be a slightly different shade: the more "pinky" colour typical of the Gudebrod garnet that is used by most to try and match B. James maroon perhaps.

Jim

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

A lovely rod whatever Leigh.

Gaz

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Quite.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Leigh,
looks to have lost an inch or two off the tip like many others but it wont affect its use at all.
Sometimes the liner gets broken in the tip rings and if well stuck on they can be a bit difficult to remove so people used to just cut them off and fit a new one, hence the loss of 1-2 inches. (if you ever come across a stubborn tip ring try heating it up with a cigarette lighter first, this will soften the glue enough to allow the ring to be removed).

I believe the hook keeper rings were only fitted on the early rods with either flared or onion shaped handles.
I think the second ring on the butt section is a replacement, they are normally the unlined chrome bridge type like the ones on the tip section.

Nice rod mate and a great all rounder.

Wal.

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Take a look here for some info on dates
viewtopic.php?f=192&t=406
Not sure if the same dates etc apply for Carp and Avon rods though?

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

10ft or 10ft 2in? - an earlier thread (in the B.James archives) shows an advert for both the Avon and Mark IV stating 10ft.

I have seen other leaflets that say 10ft 2 and then the word piece is on the next line - therefore reading 10ft 2 piece - is that where the difference originates? :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

TemeLAD wrote:10ft or 10ft 2in? - an earlier thread (in the B.James archives) shows an advert for both the Avon and Mark IV stating 10ft.

I have seen other leaflets that say 10ft 2 and then the word piece is on the next line - therefore reading 10ft 2 piece - is that where the difference originates? :Hat:
Very astute observation there, TemeLAD :Hat:

Thinking out loud here, I wonder what length Walker gave in his Rod Making for Amateurs? Assuming he lists the rod in there? I haven't delved into it for a few years. I'll have a look in Peter Stone's book too but that would be a variation on Walker's original, no doubt.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”