Redmire 2013 and beyond

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Marc
Sea Trout

Redmire 2013 and beyond

Post by Marc »

Hi,

I didn't want to hijack the Bob Roberts thread so I decided to start one here. A discussion was being had about Redmire prior to Yates 50, I was wondering is redmire today anywhere near what it was in its heyday? Or rather that should be, does it still contain above average fish from a small pool? I appreciate that its record days may be over owing to 70's and 80s being on the cards these days, however it produced a fifty in the past, what's the chances of that happening again?

I've not fished it and don't expect I ever will owing to the distance not any aversion to doing so.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Redmire 2013 and beyond

Post by Loop Erimder »

Sweetcorn kid will be one of the best to answer this although I have fished it on several occassions. This season has been rather good with good catches. If you look back many years ago then catches of carp were few and far between months had gone by without catches opening week has produced nothing on occassions too. If you read Redmire pool by Len Arbury and Kevin Clifford you will find out all about the pool of dreams
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

There are fish in there that haven't been caught that will open a few eyes. The pool has changed from what it was-it's only natural-however I hope it still retains much of it's character. When it was taken over by les bamford the infrastructure was in a desperate state, and the swims were muddy banks. Nowadays it has bark chipped swims and paths around it. However in my opinion this is a definite plus as it helps prevent damage to banks etc. It is still a fascinating place (well, it fascinates me anyway) and has a nasty habit of getting right under your skin.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

The Bishop was probably the last big fish from the original stocking, I hope I’m mistaken but I’d be surprised if a noteworthy fish (40lb+) from subsequent stockings appeared - it’s a completely different water now.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

JerryC wrote:The Bishop was probably the last big fish from the original stocking, I hope I’m mistaken but I’d be surprised if a noteworthy fish (40lb+) from subsequent stockings appeared - it’s a completely different water now.
There's at least one 40+ in there and probably two, and I doubt they are original or that they will get caught.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

St.John wrote:
JerryC wrote:The Bishop was probably the last big fish from the original stocking, I hope I’m mistaken but I’d be surprised if a noteworthy fish (40lb+) from subsequent stockings appeared - it’s a completely different water now.
There's at least one 40+ in there and probably two, and I doubt they are original or that they will get caught.
Then it will remain a mystery :Wink:
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

it nice to have the idea that there is an un cought monster but in a small pool where it gets fished intensively day in day out throughout the season I dought it though sorry if I blow the myth

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

You have to remember that Redmire is not a 'natural' water as it has been stocked with just carp. I know it has gudgeon and eels and a couple of chub but for a water to have such a narrow ecology although not unique it is unnatural and that has a bearing in its potential. Whether the early fish bred successfully or not I don't know, maybe there were more eels that destroyed much of the spawn but there did seem to be fewer but larger fish in the pool in the early days.

In my unscientific opinion, were a lot of the smaller carp to be removed and a predator such as perch introduced then the fry numbers would be kept low and the bigger fish would ultimately reach bigger sizes - but still be difficult to catch.

And its Bob Reynolds not Roberts - sooo much difference between the two :Chuckle:

And Mazza, trust me, not every fish gets caught :Wink:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Cheers men. I just wondered. The pool had a special something to produce those fish and I don't suppose that something is totally lost.

Whoops, sorry Mr Reynolds.a
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Dave Burr wrote:You have to remember that Redmire is not a 'natural' water as it has been stocked with just carp. I know it has gudgeon and eels and a couple of chub but for a water to have such a narrow ecology although not unique it is unnatural and that has a bearing in its potential. Whether the early fish bred successfully or not I don't know, maybe there were more eels that destroyed much of the spawn but there did seem to be fewer but larger fish in the pool in the early days.

In my unscientific opinion, were a lot of the smaller carp to be removed and a predator such as perch introduced then the fry numbers would be kept low and the bigger fish would ultimately reach bigger sizes - but still be difficult to catch.

And its Bob Reynolds not Roberts - sooo much difference between the two :Chuckle:

And Mazza, trust me, not every fish gets caught :Wink:
Richards??!!

Return to “Redmire Pool”