carp hooks

This forum is for discussing carp.
Pumping Nylon

carp hooks

Post by Pumping Nylon »

Yesterday i landed a 6lb common carp only to find that it had another hook embedded in its bottom lip.After removing my own barbed hook i tried to remove the other hook with my fingers but it wouldnt come out so i got the long nosed pliers out and really struggled to get this hook out.To my amazement when it came out i found that it was barbless! How it held in there i do not know,i would say that it was about a size 6.Anybody else experienced this?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: carp hooks

Post by Mark »

I have never caught a fish with another hook in it but I have witnessed Snape catch a carp which had small hook in it, I think it was the first time it had happened to him.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've removed plenty of hooks from landed fish but I don't think any of them were barbless. I'd be interested to know what design hook it was as this could have a bearing on its ability to stick in so firmly.

The hooks that usually tend to hang on to fish are the little size 18 and 16's that fish find difficult to remove (or are less aware of them in their lip) and those that are stuck into fins. I well remember many years ago on a wildie water where the fish rarely topped seven pounds, my mate swore blind he's lost a double as he couldn't control it. I landed a five pounder and removed his hook from its tail on my next visit - I took way too much joy in bursting his bubble. :Chuckle:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I was fortunate to land a carp a few months ago with a hook still in its lip a long with rig tubing and safety rig and a 2 ounce lead still attached!!! The safety rig had been attached incorrectly !!! The tiger nut was also still on the hair rig !! When released he must of been so happy not to be tethered to that lot anymore!!
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Pumping Nylon

Post by Pumping Nylon »

This is the hook in question about a size 6 or an 8. Image

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I've landed a pike with another lure in its mouth before. Nice pike and a free lure. Not a bad session.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

As I suspected PN. I use curved shank hooks as I like their ability to catch the lip and hang on but having now learned of a barbless one staying in the fish for a while I may go back to the drawing board. Its a precarious balance between fishing efficiently and becoming a fishmonger. Thanks for the input :Hat:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

That looks like an ESP Raptor.

I used to use these.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Well it's not an esp raptor g4 anyway maybe a d7
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Pumping Nylon

Post by Pumping Nylon »

Also a thing to note is that the point was quite blunt which makes me think it had been in there a long time.Its also changed my views on fishing with barbless hooks as i have also been reluctant to fish with them,even using a barbed pattern i have lost count of the number of times the hook has fallen out in the landing net! :shocked:

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”