How to store a Cane Rod?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Northern Eel
Chub

How to store a Cane Rod?

Post by Northern Eel »

Hi,

I should be buying my first cane rod this weekend (a B.James 1956 MKIV Carp rod)
This will be my first split cane rod & I was wondering what is the recommended way to store it, eg: inside it's sleeve or out of it.
horizontally or vertically.
Stood up or should it be hung from a hook or similar.

:Confused:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Snape
Bailiff

Re: How to store a Cane Rod?

Post by Snape »

Always store them in a dry not too warm place in their bag hanging up with the tip facing up.

Edward Barder gives some useful advice

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

PERFECT.

Just what I was looking for

"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

I would add to the Barder advice that the rod bag should be loosely tied at the flap end only
with any other bag ties left undone altogether so as not to cause a curve in the cane within the hanging bag.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I don't tie my bags at all now. I use a pair of small bull-dog clips to hold the flap closed. This way there is no pressure on the rod sections. I wonder if the rod care advice and particularly the Barder instruction sheet should be made into a sticky. Snape has posted it many times but it's a good question and one that often comes up.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:I don't tie my bags at all now. I use a pair of small bull-dog clips to hold the flap closed. This way there is no pressure on the rod sections. I wonder if the rod care advice and particularly the Barder instruction sheet should be made into a sticky. Snape has posted it many times but it's a good question and one that often comes up.
Interesting I do tie all mine and so far it hasn't caused a problem maybe I shouldn't. :Confused:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've not had any problems over the years with the rods loosely tied in their bags and have only done this in the last year or so as an extra precautionary measure. The thought struck me that tying the rod bag could impart pressure on the cane sections and that was something I wanted to avoid.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

After a day's fishing the first thing I do when I get home is to take the rod bag with rod out of the holdall and take the rod from the rod bag. Wipe over the rod with some damp kitchen roll and stand vertically for a couple of days in the living room. As I lay the rod alongside any decent fish I have caught for photographs there are invariably bits of soil and grass on the rod. The rod bag is draped over the back of a chair to dry and fully air of any moisture. After that the rod is put back in the bag - ties loosely tied and stood up vertically all as noted previously.

One thing I never do is to carry my landing net if used and wet in the rod holdall. Carry it seperately and place it seperately in the car on the way home. Never leave the wet net in the car overnight as the smell the following morning is stomach wrenching. Net dried out in open porch and then hung up under cover outside.
Last edited by PershoreHarrier on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

never quite got my head around standing rods up straight, i lay my humble sticks down flat under the bed. just feel safer to me this way.

ChrispDuck

Post by ChrispDuck »

Have always fancied getting a Victorian wall mounted snooker cue rack to fix to one wall of the spare room to put my rods in to display them safely when not in use, however SWMBO has an alternate view to mine. Ah well perchance to dream.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”