MKIV original price?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Northern Eel
Chub

MKIV original price?

Post by Northern Eel »

Sorry if this has been answered or mentioned before, but I was wondering if anyone knew
How much the MKIV Carp rod sold for back in the fifties? & how much that was in real money?

Obviously there were a few versions, so in particular I was wondering what you would have paid for a 1956/57 model.

:Wink:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Re: MKIV original price?

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Copy of a B.James & Son Price List of that era Image

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

According to the Bank of England Inflation Calculator ... £10 in 1955 would be the equivalent of £222.18p today.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

AshbyCut wrote:According to the Bank of England Inflation Calculator ... £10 in 1955 would be the equivalent of £222.18p today.

Imagine trying to hand build one nowadays to that price!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Looking at average wages back then, £10 would be around a months wage in 1956
So that's the equivalent of paying about £2000 today based on average UK wage 2013

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Just out of interest ... the FT says that the average annual wage for 1955 was £729.31p., so as a percentage of that the rod would be 1.37%.

The Telegraph says that the average salary in 2011 was £26,871.00, so at 1.37% the rod would have cost £368.13 two years ago.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

AshbyCut wrote:Just out of interest ... the FT says that the average annual wage for 1955 was £729.31p., so as a percentage of that the rod would be 1.37%.

The Telegraph says that the average salary in 2011 was £26,871.00, so at 1.37% the rod would have cost £368.13 two years ago.

I was we'll out then. Lol

I read the average wage was just over £100 a year, must have misread it,
I stand corrected.
:Hat:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

AshbyCut wrote:Just out of interest ... the FT says that the average annual wage for 1955 was £729.31p., so as a percentage of that the rod would be 1.37%.

I find it hard to believe that the 'average' wage in 1955 was £729 a year - or £14 per week. Problem is it depends on the definition of 'average' in the calculation at the time.
Based on when I started work in 1972 and knowing what my father was earning in the mid to late 1960's I would have expected the average wage in mid 50's to be somewhere between £5 and £10 per week at most, whereas now it is around £500 to £600 per week depending how it is calculated.
If my assumptions are correct that would mean a MKIV then cost typically between one and two weeks wages, and now one to two weeks wages would be around £1000 - which is roughly what you might expect to pay for a brand new MKIV made today.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

The FT also quotes the average wage in 2009 as being £37500 ????
I think their 'average' is way too high -maybe its based on their readers salaries:
Last edited by Julian on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”