How to catch carp on a natural rich water?

This forum is for discussing carp.
MadScientist

How to catch carp on a natural rich water?

Post by MadScientist »

Hi

I am currently fishing a 4 acre water that is gin clear, very shallow, has lots of silt and is incredibly rich in natural food. There are very few carp in the water and they are infrequently caught,less than one a month with regular angling pressure. I have tried fishing lobworm over fish that are occupied with bloodworm beds but to no avail, i have also tried fishing over beds of hemp and freshwater snails also with no result. This is a water that has probably seen most baits over the years and the fish are incredibly angler-shy...what would you do to get one or two of these beuatiful fish into your net?

Looking for enlightment
paul

Reedling
Catfish

Re: How to catch carp on a natural rich water?

Post by Reedling »

I fished a lake like this many years ago that hardly produced a fish. I waited until Summer when there was a nice warm wind which was blowing all the debris down to one end of the lake and fished a floating bait virtualy bang up against the bank. Stealth and a few slurps later... it worked! :Hat: Reedling.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

MadScientist wrote:Hi

I am currently fishing a 4 acre water that is gin clear, very shallow, has lots of silt and is incredibly rich in natural food. There are very few carp in the water and they are infrequently caught,less than one a month with regular angling pressure. I have tried fishing lobworm over fish that are occupied with bloodworm beds but to no avail, i have also tried fishing over beds of hemp and freshwater snails also with no result. This is a water that has probably seen most baits over the years and the fish are incredibly angler-shy...what would you do to get one or two of these beuatiful fish into your net?

Looking for enlightment
paul
You're lucky to have such a water, Paul! It sounds ideal for that little touch of mystery. There are some mighty carp anglers on this site, far more accomplished than me, but I can tell you what I have found on a water that, until last May, had been unfished for 20 years. Of course, such a situation immediately re-sets the rules for carp fishing, in that the fish have had no choice but to eat what they can find in Mother Nature's larder. When I first fished it - with St John actually, the fish were not wary at all, with St John managing eleven to double figures and myself, six or seven fish. Since then, the fishing has become difficult. But it's fair to say that prawns were an instant hit, and they took sweetcorn too. Boilies have been used there but, to the best of my knowledge, no fish has been caught there on boilies! So, what did work when the carp started to be wary and melted away at the merest glimpse of an angler? Well, I resorted to "hands and knees caution" - leaving even a low chair behind at home, and I would sit on the bank, as far back from the water's edge as possible. However, the most critical thing was to identify the feeding areas. Now, at this point, I will confess that I have failed to catch the largest carp on the pool, but I managed a run of doubles by realising that a silty shallow plateau above a deep channel was very attractive for the carp. I could see them bubbling there and, strange to relate, even when the water was gin clear, sometimes I could observe the bubbles but not the fish - and have a decent take immediately afterwards! As I say, sitting far back from the edge was a good idea, and I would merely watch the line for takes - striking on steady draws across the surface...and my bait? Humble breadflake on a size 6. It was fun - and I'm going back next week. I wish you similar joy with your fishing.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'd use maggots, lots of maggots.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd bait up a likely looking corner where it's deep next to a reed bed in the margins, with sweetcorn for a few days; a few handfulls each day. Then I'd night fish if permited, with a night float, single piece of corn on a size 12 hook to 8lb mono with the line just 6" over depth. But you have to stay awake and watch that float, and do'nt forget to hold the rod!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I think you are more likely to catch one there by not baiting up. Don't put any bait in.
Find a carp, get close to it without it being aware that you are there and get a freelined bait to it.
Try to ensure it doesn't notice/hear the bait hitting the water - eg overcast and draw back.
Use a very basic/simple bait -eg bread, worm, corn.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I agree with Dave, maggots are the way forward. If there are no smaller species I'd be tempted to bait up with red squatt and fish red maggots on the hook. If there are smaller species, I'd just stick to maggots and fish into darkness.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

And if there are lots of small fish present fish with plastic maggot or a shaved boilie on the hook and feed more freebies to keep ahead of the tiddlers appetite.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Hi, Mad Scientist

I’d either go with what Julian has recommended, and stalk them, or go completely the opposite way and pre-bait for a couple of weeks (or if you can manage it, three) prior to fishing to wean them onto your bait and get them used to finding it safe to eat. You probably don’t want to hear this because traditional it ain’t but I believe your best bet in this case is to use a high quality nutritious boilie that will give them the energy and goodness they would get from the naturals, but more of it for less effort.

I’d choose two or three different spots where you have observed the carp feeding, and preferably in areas that are not fished a great deal so others don’t reap the rewards of your efforts. If you can find a tasty margin spot, where you can see if the bait’s been eaten, all the better. Also, if you can, put your bait in when nobody else is around to see you doing it. Baiting about a third of a kilo on each spot every third night initially, then once they’ve got a taste for it, every other night for the remainder would be about right (just a rough guide – half a kilo might be better, if a little expensive – or bulk the feed out with pellets). Leave the baiting alone for the last couple of days before you fish, and just put a handful of boilies round your hookbaits when you do fish.

I’d make sure the line is pinned to the bottom in the vicinity of the rigs (putty or flying back leads), and fish light leads so they don’t drag the bait too deeply into the silt. It may be worth experimenting with a bottom bait on one rod and a pop-up on the other.

Sorry if this is a bit heretical on this forum and non-traditional (actually it’s only the bait that’s ‘modern’ - the method isn’t a million miles away from Sheringham’s 6-day approach, and the pop-up similar to Flt. Lt. Burton’s silt-fishing technique in BB’s ‘Confessions’) but if you really want to catch them….
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Julian wrote:I think you are more likely to catch one there by not baiting up. Don't put any bait in.
Find a carp, get close to it without it being aware that you are there and get a freelined bait to it.
Try to ensure it doesn't notice/hear the bait hitting the water - eg overcast and draw back.
Use a very basic/simple bait -eg bread, worm, corn.
Absolutely Julian; I couldn't agree more. :Thumb:

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”