Tinned Meat

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Tinned Meat

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I sometimes do when the weather is 'very hot' and the fat in the meat melting thus making it soft, but to be fair it is very rare I find I need to do this and the same piece of meat will usually withstand several casts whilst being trundled and tweaked along the bottom.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Shaun Harrison wrote:I sometimes do when the weather is 'very hot' and the fat in the meat melting thus making it soft, but to be fair it is very rare I find I need to do this and the same piece of meat will usually withstand several casts whilst being trundled and tweaked along the bottom.
Thinking about the fat melting. I used to fish a small weirpool on the Kennet in the mid 90s when we had some scorching summers and I found that if I kept some meat in a black bait box with the black bottom turned up then the fat melted and the meat oozed. When thrown in a freebies you could see the oil slick coming off it. Had some great catches of chub and barbel then.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The warmer the water the more attraction actually leaching out and more importantly a better chance of the fish managing to actually digest it without it clogging in them.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Meat used to be the no1 bait for barbel but they do wise up to it, in fact on our stretch of the Wye they would bolt at the sight of the standard 1" cube! You had to be cute and either use it in very small bits or colour and flavour it.

When everybody was using it they tended to throw the remainder from the tin into the margins at the end of the day hence the success with the huge lumps fished down the side. It was a 'natural' bait with no danger as they had freebies most days of the week. The other reason for using outsize baits was that only a big barbel could get it in its mouth so you only caught specimens. I don't think the method is quite as effective now but it still catches on rivers like the Severn.

Having been paranoid about lumps of pink meat the barbel nowadays are fished for with pellets, pellets and more pellets so it has come full circle and meat will often catch when pellets fail.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned it yet but I use Sausage paste a lot, works a treat. :)

Also had success with (as Bumble has already said) Polony, chub seem to love it.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Used to use sausage meat mixed with oxtail soup powder, soya flour and wheat germ in the 70's as one of my paste specials.

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

You can get garlic sausage in the deli counter at various supermarkets in large tubes.
I have a theory but it's yet unproven so until then, it's a theory. A secret theory at that. :Hide:

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The most success I've had with tinned meat is the Co-op own brand Luncheon meat, it's much firmer than most of the others, stays on the hook better than others I have tried.

I use a piece 1/4 to 1/2 inch square, push a bait needle through and pull the hook right through and turn it.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Bacon grill love to use this on the hook, pepperami is also good. like to bait up with finely chopped luncheon meat and hemp seed, sends the carp and tench into a frenzy. Once caught a 19 lbs plus mirror carp on this float fishing the margins,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Have any of you chaps used "Middy Meat Screws"? I find them excellent and use them regularly on the "bonus" ledger rod set up along side my float rod. They have accounted for some nice tench, carp and even a few big ide for me. They keep the bait on really well and seem to stop the smaller ones nicking the bait.I hope I do not get shunned as they are a type of hair rig I guess.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”