Huge roach saved saved from the flooded River Severn

This forum is for discussing roach.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: Huge roach saved saved from the flooded River Severn

Post by Rutland Rod »

Very well done by all concerned, those fish are as fat as butter ! but as other people have said there's going to be loads of fish left stranded and/or subject to predation, and as Carp Artist say's some cross over from still waters into the rivers.

Tight lines
Dave

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I wonder how many Koi will be swimming around Somerset rivers?
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Lovely to see those big Roach being put back in the river.

As regards the floods in Somerset If they stay up into the spawning season we're going to lose an awful lot of potential fish when the floods recede.

Gammarus
Chub

Post by Gammarus »

Carp Artist wrote:I guess there will be a lot more carp in the River Arun now due the floods :huray: :huray: :wave:
I just noticed this post and have to admit that I stocked a good number of small carp (100 maybe?) Into the Arun at Bury in about 1980. They came from Bignor Park lake, where I lived and was sorting out the fishery. It was overstocked with very small carp (4oz fish), I couldn't give them away, so many were buried and the lucky ones went into the Arun carted down Church lane in tubs in the back of my car.

Illegal and not something I would do now, but maybe a mystery solved?

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”