I wonder if anyone can identify this please?

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Old-CodJA

I wonder if anyone can identify this please?

Post by Old-CodJA »

After a long period of illness last year and having sold off a few of the bits I'd picked up I didn't think I'd get around to playing with these again, but luckily have renewed interest now and sorting through some bundles I picked out this one.

I've no idea what it is and it may well be some unimportant maker, but appears to be a 'Boy's' rod of some type. It is split cane throughout and the cane does appear to be in good condition to my untrained eye although it looks as if someone has had a go a cleaning it up.

Most of the red silk whippings appear to be original, the rod is 3 equal sections each 36 ins long making a light 9 foot coarse rod which feels very pleasant in the hand. There is a screw reel fitting and all the eyes are lined. It has been re-varnished shortly before I acquired it with several others, one of which is a 10 foot split cane Sealey Roach Rod in very near original condition with just a little scratch damage to original decals and usual signs of use.

The seller informed me that this 9 foot was also a Sealey, but there are no decals left at all. I am by no means certain it is and I actually thought it might be 'Black Seal' or some such lesser marque. The only thing that intrigued me and makes me ask what the experts think this is the fact that what appears might be the shadowy remains of a Sealey double-fish logo can be seen under the new varnish in one of the photos attached.

Last edited by Old-CodJA on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:37 am, edited 7 times in total.

Old-CodJA

Re: I wonder if anyone can identify this please?

Post by Old-CodJA »

I took this to a small lake that I fish on Monday and it handled a couple of small Tench very well despite the spot of delamination that I hadn't noticed near the top ferrule of the bottom joint.

I won't risk that again!!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Looks like a Japanese import rod or a Black Seal. My Black Seal spinning rod had similar rings. Are they all agate lined; I cannot see from the photo? The rings from my Black Seal are all lined, which is normal for this make!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Yes, Black Seal was what I thought because the eyes were lined throughout and I had seen one of those still with it's decals that looked similar to this one, although not identical. It was just the seller's insistence that it was Sealey and the mark on the butt that made me wonder, it doesn't matter in the slightest as I only paid about £2 for it as a part of the job lot, but I thought one of the experts on here would probably know for sure.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well in no known Universe do I consider myself an expert on cane, so hopefully one of them will give their opinion!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think I had one of these rods in the very early Sixties....my first cane rod. It came in a plastic sleeve, clear one side and blue the other. Neither rod nor bag carried any identification marks, but I feel sure they were imported as those orange and white lined rings simply don't appear on anything else, which I feel sure they would if they were UK-made.

The rod is probably still in my parents garage somewhere....I remember the chrome-plated fixed reel mounting was cold and uncomfortable and has put me off such clamps ever since.

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Nobby wrote:I think I had one of these rods in the very early Sixties....my first cane rod. It came in a plastic sleeve, clear one side and blue the other. Neither rod nor bag carried any identification marks, but I feel sure they were imported as those orange and white lined rings simply don't appear on anything else, which I feel sure they would if they were UK-made.

The rod is probably still in my parents garage somewhere....I remember the chrome-plated fixed reel mounting was cold and uncomfortable and has put me off such clamps ever since.

That's a good point, I don't think I've ever seen the two-tone lining to the rings on anything else either.

They seem to have a light reddish-orange 'agate' or plastic type lining with an inner white hard 'porcelain' type line guide.

Whatever it is, it's nothing special, but I just thought it might ring a bell with someone.

I'm sure the suggestion that it was a cheap early sixties import from the far east is the most likely explanation

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”