Roach save the day!

This forum is for discussing roach.
Davyr

Re: Roach save the day!

Post by Davyr »

Yes, I've heard that story about exaggerated catches before and I've no doubt it's true. Sadly, the average size of the Macc roach has declined since the 1960s, which is hardly surprising, given the influx of signal crays and increased competition from introduced carp.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Well, my copy of "Roach - the gentle giants" arrived yesterday and whilst it looks an interesting book and one I'll enjoy reading, I was disappointed to find only one brief mention of Albert Oldfield and nothing at all about the Macclesfield Canal. John Bailey's canal fishing in the North West appears to have been limited to the Peak Forest Canal and that is where he apparently met Albert Oldfield.

My smallish collection of angling magazines from the 1960s unfortunately doesn't contain anything about either fishing on the Macclesfield Canal or Albert Oldfield. If anyone knows of any references to magazine articles on either subject, I'd be very interested to hear about them.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I've had a quick check of references that I have to Albert Oldfield and the only article I have is one in Angler's World. It's fairly vague and non-committal. It's a common problem with many anglers known for their catches in that what they have written is sparse and vague, their success often coming down to being in the right place at the right time and persevering with a reasonably successful method. Owen Wentworth wrote a bit more than Albert Oldfield including a couple of slim books but again not much detail.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Thanks, DaceAce - sounds like what I already know about Albert Oldfield might be all there is to know!

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Davyr,

I can copy the article if you want. Please PM if you want it.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

PM sent!

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Dave, I have found a story by John Bailey that involves Albert Oldfield and roach. It's in his book "Reflections From The Water's Edge", in the section "The Early Years", entitled "Hector and the Heroes". But as you say, it's the Peak Forest Canal, at Oakwood Mill (no idea if that's a real name or not). I also checked in "Roach; The Gentle Giants" and it's the same story, a bit fleshed out (or 'enhanced') in "The Early Years".

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

JohnL and Gaztheangler both beat you to it earlier in the thread, but thanks anyway, Garry! :thumb:

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Apologies to all - and to think I even (thought I'd) read through the thread asnd failed to spot those. I've definitely been working too hard :D

Igotwetfeet

Post by Igotwetfeet »

Owen was are postman, he was a lovely man, think he died in about 1988, a sad loss, he worked on Saturdays in the Gun Shop in Wimborne, they did a bit of fishing stuff in there then, he loved a laugh & always enjoyed an ice cream, on his grave it says " The Complete Angler " RIP old mate.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”