My First Attempt at Flavouring Luncheon Meat

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Macko
Grayling

Re: My First Attempt at Flavouring Luncheon Meat

Post by Macko » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 am

Mark, give Paprika and Cayenne pepper mixed a try, caught lots of barbel with it.
Back in the eighties cubed meat struggled on a stretch of the Kennet I fished, so I bought
an apple corer ( still have and use) and caught loads of chub and barbel,then the others
who I fished with finally cottoned on, and their catches increased.

ATB Macko
Last edited by Macko on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:16 am

Macko wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 am
Mark, give Paprika and Cayenne pepper mixed a try, caught lots of barbel with it.
Back in the eighties cubed meat struggled on a stretch of the Kennet I fished, so I bought
an apple corer ( still have and use) and caught loads of chub and barbel,then the others
who I fished with finally cottened on, and their catches increased.

ATB Macko
Will give it a try Macko. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:11 pm

I chop a tin in half, cut the meat into roughly 5mm cubes then pop them into a small pop seal bag.

I mix about a table spoon of boiling water with a desert spoon or so of angel delight to make a sticky liquid, this goes into the bag, seal up and shake. I then drain most of the fluid off once the meat is coated. I then add a heaped table spoon of my dry groundait, a little bit of powdered red dye and thens shake and leave over night. I use Van Den Eyde bream additive or super crack so it makes for a sweet meat, I've had loads of bream/rudd on this.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Mark two questions first any update have you tried it yet and two, after freezing meat baits myself last year you may remember i had the problem of the baits not sinking, after checking on the internet many said that many meat baits will float after freezing an issue if you intend to throw a few hook samples in as attraction, my question is did you find that to be the case or do your baits sink

regards

bjp :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Bjp wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 pm
Mark two questions first any update have you tried it yet and two, after freezing meat baits myself last year you may remember i had the problem of the baits not sinking, after checking on the internet many said that many meat baits will float after freezing an issue if you intend to throw a few hook samples in as attraction, my question is did you find that to be the case or do your baits sink

regards

bjp :Hat:
Tried it once but have been concentrating on my paste baits so never even got to the freezer stage.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm

I often freeze and reuse luncheon meat baits and not had floating issues, I have caught on the defrosted baits too :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”