Fly rod conversion advice!

General fly fishing chat area.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Fly rod conversion advice!

Post by Duebel »

I've used a solid glass tip for a nice little picker rod. The advantage of glass is, that you can easily shape it to the desired taper.
Good luck with your rod conversion, Trevor!

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... 50&t=32105
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers, I have attached solid glass fibre tip so that's worth considering. Cheers.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

This rod arrived today. It was always going to be bitzas thing to help me make/restore other rods, well it only cost £20 (free postage).

Luckily the agate rings are superb, and with the butt ring being 14mm in diameter I think I've almost recouped the money.

One of the tips is made from solid fibre glass and the other from wood, either lance wood or greenheart; I don't know the difference. Regardless, all of the rings are good, as is the built cane. Now I just have to decide what type of rod to make from it. But the nice butt ring will be whipped onto my newly acquired Light Caster, that came with a simple all wire ring.

Now the solid fibreglass tip has quite a stiff action, so I'm wondering just what type of rod would suite! Any ideas chaps?

The fibre glass tip fits the middle section ferrule, but the wooden tip does not.

Something about 9' long with a stiff action, or shorter. I'm thinking short spinning rod,
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

You can easily shape the solid glass tip to another taper. All you need is a pair of sturdy gloves, a mask, an electric drill, some fine abrasive mesh and a vacuum cleaner ...

Gudgeon
Stickleback

Post by Gudgeon »

Converted a 10ft Marco fly rod into a hybrid carp stalker rod for surface fishing early last season, kept the original eyes but extended the butt, new reel seat and Cork grip and butt grip, mixture of old and modern materials to keep the weight down.
Casts OK although a bit on the soft side, handles the fish well with plenty of give

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I can't help but think that the wheel might turn and the market will find a dearth of suitable built cane salmon fly rods! I've attempted a couple of 'carp rod' conversions myself but they've ended up with odd length sections and not all that great in reality. I would like some of those fixed/pinned reel foot cups if you chaps have any?

Return to “General Fly Chat”