River Meon

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Moley
Brown Trout

Re: River Meon

Post by Moley »

CraigM wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:44 pm Thank you Moley.

Living in Four Marks & close to the A32 & therefore the Meon I've often stopped to peer into this lovely little stream. The Shoe pub is nicely positioned next to it as is Wickham Village. A 3lb trout would be a monster !
The Exton Manor Water runs very nearly up to the Shoe Stretch and is on a day ticket at £90 plus a day .......never fished it though. The stretch fished by Fatty is at Soberton, mostly shallow but with deeper holes where the fish lurk. The Monster trout estimated at 3lb or so was totally unexpected size wise hence it got the better of the angler easily. The wild trout in here are usually between 10 and 14 inches, subsequently the leader was only 3lb fluorocarbon and not entirely suitable for the Monster which did three victory pirouettes; hence able to estimate size.

Not sure about Wickham but think it is season ticket or in private ownership, which most of the Meon Water seems to be. The access to this lovely river is restricted and what fishable water there is available is kept quiet on a need to know basis. So given time maybe more information will be made available to Fatty over time after bribery with pies and booze are liberally applied no doubt :Hat:
Liphook wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:54 pm Another very enjoyable chapter Moley :Thumb: It's a very beautiful stream and one I'd like to visit again some day :Hat:
Glad to hear the witterings of the Fatty amuse, Liphook......by the way is your nom-de-plume an indication of your residential area?

As ever,...

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

I think most of the Meon is controlled by either the Royal Navy fly fishing or the Royal British Legion Moley, Andy Murphy the Hamble warden will be able to tell you if RBL membership is open, last time he let us know the price was very reasonable, his number will be in your PDAS membership book
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Thanks Rob.....is that the Fareham legion?

If so the stretch they have is no longer chalk stream as that ends at Soberton Heath. Still trouty no doubt but not as nice. I 'm going to have a try at persuading a landowner to let me have a season ticket for one day a week...expensive but nearby and good fishing.

Wish me luck as this is usually dead mens shoes and rarer than rocking horse poo!

As ever,...

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Park gate Legion I think Moley, the other club is Portsmouth services fly fishing association but I think it's for serving and ex Navy plus MOD workers.

Good luck my friend
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Return to “Other Rivers”