Learning to Fish (1966)

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Mark99
Perch

Re: Learning to Fish (1966)

Post by Mark99 »

I have a few - some are not here. From memory is it in Walkers biography by Barrie Rickards?

SussexMan
Bleak

Post by SussexMan »

Many thanks indeed to BarbelB for supplying the DVD set (today!) that includes "Learning-To-Fish" which will be one tremendous treat to see. A photo of all the participants can be found in Peter Wheat's book "Angling down the Years" on page 81, listing all ten of the mentors. There is also a mysterious A.N. Other, but as he has no pupil in shot he may not be an angler (Is it perhaps cameraman Brehaut?)

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Met Dave Steaurt recently - great bloke and great life story - spent many happy hours speaking of his life and fishing trips. Just hope that I am as fit and mentally aware when, and if, I reach his age.

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Many thanks, SussexMan.

Well, I found it through a long and extremely pleasant, helpful conversation last week-end with Dave Knowles, the filmmaker, who has a very long association with Jack Hargreaves and his work.
https://networkonair.com/all-products/2 ... n-volume-1

The documentary is one of a few "add-ons" to the DVDs of Vol 1 of the Out of Town series.
The volume, 5 DVDs, gives you 35 episodes of "Out of Town" and several special features, including "Learning to Fish", some Ollie Kite stuff and a tribute by Fred Dinenage to Jack. "Learning to Fish" is brilliant. Where else would you see (my childhood heroes) Walker, Stone, FJT et al in one place at the same time, tutoring young angling real beginners? Nostalgia on a stick! Utterly brilliant and I will be watching it repeatedly. Some nearly fell in!
Out Of Town was my favourite programme, as a pre-teen starter angler in the early sixties and it is wonderful that so much is still available. I learnt a great deal from them.

As a result of all this, I have discovered that I was born within probably half a mile of Jack's birthplace which was Palmers Green london N13. That was a surprise!

I’ve ordered another copy from Networkonair for another mate, aged 81 and devout non-internet user. As soon as he heard me mention it, he said “Owen Wentworth”; amazing memory - why he remembered OW, the Blandford(?) postie/angler and not the others.....?!. He’ll get his copy next week.
This one was £13.00 incl. delivery. The first 2 topped-up at £30.32 as I had to pay a fivers-worth of P & P.
The volume is nearly 15 hours (875mins) of viewing pleasure. Brilliant value.

Dave Knowles also seems to be a bit of a cook....! Some fantastic, straightforward, everyday recipes amongst all the more familiar films on YouTube. Except that an interview with Barry Sheen is not that familiar! Grief! - thats a lot more late nights...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +filmmaker

His website:
https://daveknowles.net/about/

He also has sundry other social media outlet accounts.
Major nostalgia hit! Very highly recommended.

Mike

Return to “Fishing Films”