New to fly fishing

General fly fishing chat area.
SharkBoy
Perch

New to fly fishing

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys new to discipline I have been bequeathed a Hardy 7ft 4 piece fly rod 3* … what does this mean? Also what type/ weight of fish can it be used for and what type of reel would best suit ? … I have no idea lol

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: New to fly fishing

Post by Barbelseeker »

Rods are rated by the weight of the fly line. Normally the smaller the fly line, the less power behind the line and hence the distance it can be cast.

Your rod rated at a 3# is indeed a very light rod, and more suited to brook fishing rather than lake or river. That said it could be used for fishing the margins, but I would think that a 3lb trout would be the maximum it would safely be able to handle.

Have you any other identifier on the rod, Name or a serial number (which is normally on the butt). Is the rod cane or of other material?

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Nice Brook and river rod for brown trout up to 2lb most you catch will be under that, dace and small chub get yourself a nice little jw youngs pridex or rimfly with a line to match and your all set.

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi it’s a Hardy Demon … carbon

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Have a look on ebay for a Hardy Marquis reel #4, excellent reels and much nicer than a Rimfly.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd take it to a tackle shop and buy a modern light weight fly reel for it; one that balances the rod nicely. The only way to achieve a good balance is to match it with a reel in a tackle shop, especially since its a short modern rod. Don't forget to add the line if possible to get the balance. Otherwise ask for advice in the shop.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Very sensible, you will get the right reel and line that way.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Return to “General Fly Chat”