Hardy Pike rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
Waynee45
Ruffe

Hardy Pike rod

Post by Waynee45 »

Hi all, did Hardy make an actual Pike rod or was it just spinning rods for salmon which have then been used for Pike fishing.
Regards
Wayne

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Hardy Pike rod

Post by Olly »

Have a search here for a very old Hardy Pike rod - - - or look through the Hardy catalogues.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Hardy have catered for coarse anglers over the years, although in the early 20th century, salmon anglers became pike anglers at the end of the salmon season often rods for salmon were adapted for Pike, but Hardy did see an opportunity, and offered a range of pike rods in split cane a greenheart.

Half Guinea Pike rod 1910-15
Specia Pike 1919-51
Pike live baiting rod 1938-52
Masterpiece 1934-52
Popular 1934-52
Everyman 1934-52
Recruit 1933-52

I haven't included the many pike spinning rods or glassfibre rods, I may have missed one or two?

The Hardy Silex reels are excellent pike reels too

My restored 1934 Masterpiece with a 3 3/4" Super silex of the same period.

The Masterpiece has a greenheart butt, with a split cane middle & tip, they used greenheart on most of the pike rods.

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Olly wrote: ↑Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:43 pm Have a search here for a very old Hardy Pike rod - - - or look through the Hardy catalogues.
Thank you Olly for the info.

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Paul F wrote: ↑Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:32 pm Hardy have catered for coarse anglers over the years, although in the early 20th century, salmon anglers became pike anglers at the end of the salmon season often rods for salmon were adapted for Pike, but Hardy did see an opportunity, and offered a range of pike rods in split cane a greenheart.

Specia Pike 1919-51
Masterpiece 1934-52
Popular 1934-52
Everyman 1934-52
Recruit 1933-52

I haven't included the many pike spinning rods or glassfibre rods, I may have missed one or two?

The Masterpiece has a greenheart butt, with a split cane middle & tip, they used greenheart on most of the pike rods.
Thank you Paul F for the list and info. Split cane is a new venture for me and I hope to be able to expand my collection. Having read some of the posts below am I right in saying you restore split cane rods as well.
Regards
Wayne

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Waynee45 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:04 pm
Paul F wrote: ↑Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:32 pm Hardy have catered for coarse anglers over the years, although in the early 20th century, salmon anglers became pike anglers at the end of the salmon season often rods for salmon were adapted for Pike, but Hardy did see an opportunity, and offered a range of pike rods in split cane a greenheart.

Specia Pike 1919-51
Masterpiece 1934-52
Popular 1934-52
Everyman 1934-52
Recruit 1933-52

Thank you Paul F for the list and info. Split cane is a new venture for me and I hope to be able to expand my collection. Having read some of the posts below am I right in saying you restore split cane rods as well.
Regards
Wayne
Thank you Wayne, I don't restore rods professionally, it is all part of the hobby & collecting ,that I restore & repair for myself and a few friends.

I knew nothing about restoring cane when I joined this forum, I just read lots of post, contacted members, asked questions and learnt new skills, there is a good bunch of guys on here who will be more than happy to share knowledge, and tips, and i would highly recommend you have a go at your own restorations, prepare well & take your time.

Oh & don't ask what is the best varnish, as you will be recommend 20 brands and be none the wiser :Chuckle:

There are many post on best varnish, have a good read, try a good trusted brand of exterior varnish, varnishing is all about a clean dust free environment, drying well & cutting back between coats πŸ‘

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Paul F wrote: ↑Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:44 pm
Waynee45 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:04 pm

Specia Pike 1919-51
Masterpiece 1934-52
Popular 1934-52
Everyman 1934-52
Recruit 1933-52

Regards
Wayne
Thank you Wayne, I don't restore rods professionally, it is all part of the hobby & collecting ,that I restore & repair for myself and a few friends.

I knew nothing about restoring cane when I joined this forum, I just read lots of post, contacted members, asked questions and learnt new skills, there is a good bunch of guys on here who will be more than happy to share knowledge, and tips, and i would highly recommend you have a go at your own restorations, prepare well & take your time.

Oh & don't ask what is the best varnish, as you will be recommend 20 brands and be none the wiser :Chuckle:

There are many post on best varnish, have a good read, try a good trusted brand of exterior varnish, varnishing is all about a clean dust free environment, drying well & cutting back between coats πŸ‘
Thank you Paul F. You are a gentleman. Regards Wayne

Return to β€œHardy Cane Rods”