Scales fly rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
MikeB3
Stickleback

Scales fly rod

Post by MikeB3 »

Please, has anybody heard of Scales, either as a maker or as a retailer for whom it might be branded? I can't find either.

Saw it in an antique shop, beautifully made, split cane, about nine foot mostly in perfect condition; can't comment on the top few inches which aren't there and I doubt that it was the maker who varnished the grip. (Why!) The "Scales" logo is a transfer so unlikely to be home made. Either British Made or Made in England, can't remember which. I don't think it had a line weight, may go and have another look. Even take photo if anyone's interested.

Any information gratefully received.

MikeB3
Stickleback

Re: Scales fly rod

Post by MikeB3 »

Update. And cringe.

If I had taken the 'Scales' out into the light (it was a rather antique Antique shop) I might have seen that that what I thought was a c is actually an e and an s is a y. That makes it a Sealey which we all know about. I’m sorry if I've wasted anyone's time. Still a nice rod, shame the tip's broken.

Mike

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Scales fly rod

Post by Mr B »

You haven't wasted no ones time, all post are read and there's always some interest in there some wear.
Its good you took a second look (measure twice cut once my old man would say)
I don't suppose with that bit of the top missing it would have cast that well but I'm no expert.
Keep your posts coming, this is a forum and thats what its about.
Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”