Weir Product question

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Andyman
Bleak

Weir Product question

Post by Andyman »

Wondered if anyone can shed some light on this rod which I picked up as part of a job lot some time ago?
It is 9' 2" long and fairly stout. Compared with my Allcocks Superb two piece carp rod it is very similar in measurement (slightly shorter) and tip section is very slightly heavier. Fewer rings and tip section rings are smaller diameter.
It is in very good original condition with what look like good quality reel and handle fittings.
I am using it as a second carp rod to my Allcocks and heavy spinning. It seems ideally suited to both.
It only stands me at a few pounds and the other rod that came with it is a Scottie split cane light spinning rod, bit of a bargain I thought.

Any info gratefully received.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's All Too Beautiful but Keep on Rocking in the Free World

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Re: Weir Product question

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Nobby wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:30 am Weir Products seems to have been a temporary trading name of R G Edwards who were also the owners of Black Seal Products, who were registered at the same address in Carshalton, Surrey.

They sold Black Seal plugs, rods and reels using two different logos...a black package wax seal and ...a black seal on an iceberg!

I don't know too much about them except for several addresses around Carshalton and nearby Wallington, eventually a final address in Brixton.

There used to be a blog post by John Andrews saying they started out as two brothers selling tackle out of the back of a van.

It might be still in here somewhere....

http://andrewsofarcadiascrapbook.blogspot.com/2010/
Nobby kindly posted the above on another thread.
I have a very similar looking rod but with a screw reel fitting which is a bit too central on the length of the handle.
Yours looks a better handle option
I mainly use it as a carp rod and it handles lively low doubles well.
Hope you enjoy using it :Hat:
Trevor

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”