Farlows Perfect and Regal Fly Reels - Drum Screw Question

The Other Reels forum.
Parabolic
Dace

Farlows Perfect and Regal Fly Reels - Drum Screw Question

Post by Parabolic »

Does anyone have any information as to what the thread is on the drum retaining screw for the Farlow Perfect type reels?

I have a couple of these reels but for some reason the screws are not interchangeable.

It's a left hand screw thread, I thought it was 1/8" BSW, but it's not quite right. Maybe it's a BA type thread or even a bespoke one (I believe some of the earlier Hary Perfects had 'unique' threads devised by Hardys themselves).

Any help much appreciated.

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Farlows Perfect and Regal Fly Reels - Drum Screw Question

Post by Watermole+ »

Would it be possible to measure the diameter of the screw? Even allowing for it being a little undersize, it will be a good starting point and having a pitch gauge would be even better.
If you would care to post it to me, I could soon calculate it for you and possibly provide a replacement if necessary as I have many now obsolete split dies.

Most of the Hardy reels that I have encountered did indeed use Whitworth based threads but there were more of the smaller fractional sizes then, down to 1/16” diameter which may explain some of the anomalies. Identifying them is a bit of a minefield!

Send a PM if you think I might be able to help..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Farlows Perfect and Regal Fly Reels - Drum Screw Question

Post by Harry H »

Parabolic wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:13 pm Does anyone have any information as to what the thread is on the drum retaining screw for the Farlow Perfect type reels?

I have a couple of these reels but for some reason the screws are not interchangeable.

It's a left hand screw thread, I thought it was 1/8" BSW, but it's not quite right. Maybe it's a BA type thread or even a bespoke one (I believe some of the earlier Hary Perfects had 'unique' threads devised by Hardys themselves).

Any help much appreciated.
Can't help about the screw size but the reason for the different threads maybe the Regal was probably made by Farlow whereas the Perfect type reels they had were probably made by Youngs?
I too have both reels and there's a difference in quality of materials.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Other Reels”